CME 4.1 issues

Unanswered Question
Apr 10th, 2007

Folks -

I have two issues that I would like your assistance in resolved.

1) The 7961G phones connected to my CME 4.1 system with the updated DST firmware are displaying a time 5 hours ahead of local time. I have set the clock timezone command, performed the DST IOS work-around, and the router syncs to a stratum 2 NTP source. I am at wits end trying to figure out why they all display the incorrect time - while the other models in product (7912s, 7936) are displaying time correctly.

2) The 7936 locks up in off-hook status if during a call to another internal extension the call is placed on hold, or held temporarily for a transfer. When the far end comes off hold - the audio path is not reconnected and the call is lost. We have to unplug the 7936 from the wall to reset this condition. Any ideas?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Loading.
thisisshanky Tue, 04/10/2007 - 19:47

Are the 7961s running 7.03 firmware ?Many 7941/61s come with this particular load from manufacturing. I have had a tough time trying to upgrade them to latest firmware to get the time to show up properly.

kbrown Wed, 04/11/2007 - 14:13

I believe they are running 7.03. Have you had success in getting the firmware updated? Can you share the process you used?

kbrown Sat, 04/14/2007 - 06:38

New information on the phone problems.

It appears from the debug ephone detail that my 7961 phones are attempting to register with the CME as 7960 phones. This of course has the affect of negating the load 7961 and load 7941 commands for new firmware.

Since I do not have any 7960s on the system, I modified the load 7960-7940 command to reflect the new firmware. Upon cycling the phones - they still failed to update to the new code.

Does this make sense to anyone?

kbrown Sun, 04/15/2007 - 10:13

I tried to do a factory reset last evening on a couple of the problem phones. The reset did in fact cause them to load the correct firmware, but did nothing for the time display problem.

SOLUTION:

I had the occasion to add one new 7941 phone to the system last night. Once it was added it booted correctly (downloaded the correct firmware code) AND displayed the correct time.

I took a chance and deleted one of the problematic phones - then re-added it. It reset several times - and once fully initialized - it was displaying the correct time.

I wasn't running a debug during this process so I'm not sure what was different that changed the outcome.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Actions

This Discussion