Views
Helpful
Replies

TFTP Server

danny9797
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I'm looking in to building a TFTP server. When backing up configuration data, is it possible to back it up to a windows server on the network, or does it have to be backed up to a router on the network?

Usually, when you run the tftp backup command, it requires a file name, where is this backup file located by default.

Thanks

8 Replies 8

jbeltrame
Level 1
Level 1

You can use tftp server on windows:

http://www.tftp-server.com/

that is one example. You just need to make sure that you create the file before you can copy from a network device. Then, you can do you tftp copy:

copy run tftp://server/file

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Danny

Most of the times you tend to backup the IOS file and the config files.

You need to check out on which path the files are saved in your router.

They will be in the flash and you can mention the path accordingly.

Before starting up the backup process you need to verify the path in the router or the storage where the files are stored.

Once you are done with that you can define the same accordingly while doing the tftp backup process..

regds

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

Apart from the others, make sure that you give different filenames for each destination config file, b'coz all the routers config file is same named "router-config".

You can use free TFTP servers available like 3CDeamon, Solarwinds etc.They are better then normal win TFTP.

Regards

JD

terrygaowei
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Danny

I believe you are trying to backup your switch/router running config right?

you may install TFTP server at any platform, linux or windows. as long as you have control of your TFTP server.

Bring up your tftp server,and set the tftp file location.

if you are backup CatOS config. then use this command :

Cisco>(enable)copy config flash

if you are backup IOS config, then use this

cisco#copy run tftp

All your backup files will diretly push to your tftp file folder.

About file name,you could use any name you like. Eg: backup-2007-04-12

Terry

NCS,Singapore

Thanks for the replies everyone.

jbeltrame: what format must the file be in? Where should I place the file, c:/ ? When the router prompts for the file name, do I insert the full path?

spremkumar: how can I view or change the path on the router?

deasi, thanks for the suggestions, i'll look in to the freeware apps.

Terry, yes I would like to backup the iso along with the configurations. Thanks for the tips.

the file will go into the root of the tftp server. The file can be any name you choose. For example, say the root of the tftp server is c:\tftpd. You can create a file called router/2007041101. Then, when you save the file via tftp, it will be like:

router#copy run tftp://TFTPSERVER/router/20070411

Thanks for the response.

I want to do some testing here at home. I have a friend with Solarwinds, so im going to give it a try. If I setup a TFTP server with solarwinds, would I be able to test it out using a simulator? I have Boson netsim, does anyone know if this would work out or would I need physical hardware for testing?

Thanks again

Hi

I think you can stimulate saving running-config on BOSON. But u need a real router for backuping an IOS.

Pls rate helpful posts.

Regards

JD

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco