cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco switch must combine fiber with utp and stp.

jarco5000
Level 1
Level 1

How can u see in the specifications of a switch if u can attach fiber to the switch or what extra module is required.

And do u need something extra to support voip?

11 Replies 11

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

Pls eloborate on your problem.

Regards

JD

well i need a lot of switches. Some must have only 1 or 2 fiber ports but others need 10. And some need none. I dont know what i need to look at to see if the ports are on the router.

And also i dont know if all cisco switches are capable to use voip without an extention module. And if needed what module should i take?

Hi

If I am understanding your problem correctly, then you need access layer switches with different number of Fiber ports.I am afraid that in access layer switches, you can get a max of four fiber ports. Actually these are open slots in which you can insert SFP modules.You can insert upto four modules.For Eg 3560 switches.

As far as more then four, you may get that but in distribution layer switches.There are open line cards in which you can insert upto 18 GBICs depending on your choice. For eg 4500 series.

Also, the other end of all the switches will go to a main distribution/core switch. You do not need router if you are going for a enhanced IOS image which comes with routing capabilities for switches. Hence, your switch itself can act as a router.

Note that there are some versions of switches which do not have routing.

For your second query, access layer switches in VoIP switches are used for two basic purposes, one is to give power to IP Phones and for Quality of Service (QoS) purpose.

Definately you need a Call Manager Server or Call Manager Express module in a router to handle the VoIP traffic.

But anyway this can also be deployed by powering the IP Phones through AC adapters and not using QoS in ur switches.The performance as expected degrades.

Hope I am making myself clear. Now I think you know what you can have, so think better in right direction.

Pls be free to ask if u have more questions.

Regards

JD

well in this case my problem is this.

I need at gigabyte speed 24 ports of fiber and at legacy speed (fast is also ok) 40 ports (or 48) utp (rj45).

What switch and modules do i need? And where can i find that?

Hi,

Have a look at this link. It will full info and help you decide of what you need.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/index.html

Hope this helps

Shaheen

i was looking here already but i seem to miss the part that explains the modules or something :(

Hi

If u would have told me this in first place, then u could have the right souution in first place itself.

I will recommend a Cisco 4507R switch.You can have a supervisor Engine IV in that(WS-X4515).

For 48 port copper, you can insert a line card called WS-X4448-GB-RJ45

And for fiber you can have WS-X4124-FX-MT

which is a MT-RJ(100Mb) line card.

For easily available technology (GBIC) go for WS-X4448-GB-SFP.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2710/products_data_sheet0900aecd802109ea.html

I am currently running 2 4507R with X4515 with X4418-GB, but in that u need to put GBICs as they are only slots.

Hope that will help.

Regards

JD

does the url you gavce in your last post only works dfor the 4500 series or for all cisco stackable routers?

can u plz give me a similar url for 3750 switches?

Hi

3750 are fixed config switches.And you need to stack all of them. As far as your requirement is concerned, I think following will do same for u as in 4507R:

3750-48TS-48 x 1

3750G-12S-12 x 2

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_data_sheet0900aecd80371991.html

Hope that will help.

Regards

JD

As an Engineer I'm going to throw a comment in here. I respect that fact that you are researching your requirements for your network. The info that has been provided to you has been accurate. However based on the information you have provided and your apparent lack of experience with Cisco Equipment I would highly recommend contacting your local VAR for config and deployment help. The hardware is often not the tricky part of purchasing and deploying Cisco equipment. The IOS versions you choose and choice to purchase or forgo smartnet could force your project into failure or at least over budget without dealing with these details.

good luck!

www.staticnat.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card