CCNA Books for exam preparation

Unanswered Question
Apr 12th, 2007

Hi all,

I want to pass the ccna be prepared I want to know what Books is good for exam prepartion.

(with questions and answers to cover all things for the ccna test)

Thank you

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
d.wingert Thu, 04/12/2007 - 05:01

Hello Kai,

I am studying for the CCIE at the moment but my partner started with her CCNA recently and we got her this library:

CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (Exam #640-801), 2nd edition

I also use it for my studies from time to time and find it to be well written and it comes with lots of questions and comes with an exam simulation engine from Boson on CD. Should be all you need for passing the CCNA (or INTRO & ICND) exam.

cpaadministrator Thu, 04/12/2007 - 05:14

Hello Dirk,

thanks a lot for your post and yes you helped me.

One question:

the exam 640-801 is the same as 640-821 and 640-811 together right ?

It was strange for that you can make 2 exams for ccna instead of one.

Best regards

cpaadministrator Thu, 04/12/2007 - 05:20

Sorry !!!!!!!

I am a little bit confused it?s not my day.

Do not answer to my former mail :-)

mark.hodge Thu, 04/12/2007 - 05:03

I'm going through the prep myself, so did a little research.

The Todd Lammie/Sybecx guide is good as a basis, but I have found it a little light in detail. A new edition is due Sept/Oct time.

The Wendell Odom/Ciscopress INTRO and ICND Certification guides go into much more deail, but can be quite heavy going.

Have a look at the Amazon reviews to judge for yourself, or

eugene.fourie Thu, 04/12/2007 - 05:48

I used TestOut CCNA video training, which was extremely good, it has all the info in a nutshell and labs with a lot of exam sims.

Videos always easier to understand, quicker.

I used QUE CCNA book (link below) which is a lot easier to read compared to the Cisco book. The Cisco CCNA books just have too much info in them, if they had a lighter version with more precise info it would be great. But its different for everyone.

d.wingert Thu, 04/12/2007 - 08:58

Hello Kai,

To your earlier question:

"the exam 640-801 is the same as 640-821 and 640-811 together right ?"

Right, you can do either the 640-801 CCNA and get asked questions dealing with topics taught in both - the INTRO and the ICND courses:

Do the 640-821 INTRO and the 640-811 ICND separately so that you have a two-step approach to your CCNA and have not to deal with too many topics at once.

I think if you go down the two-step approach you might have a few questions less per exam and the exams don't cost as much (Not as much as taking the 640-801 twice for example - but we don't wanna do that anyway ;-).

ibnrafiuraji Sun, 04/15/2007 - 13:29

Please can any one help? I want to know when the CCNA syllabus will be changed. I was told that it will be changed in JUNE this year. Is That true?

ibnrafiuraji Sun, 04/15/2007 - 18:31

Please who have the latest update for testking Q&A? ie ver 1.1 . I shall be gratefull to have one for my CCNA which I intend to write in the first week on May.

platignum Wed, 04/25/2007 - 15:59

I second that! Didnt need the online material just the books - totally agree with thsinqhosn

d.wingert Thu, 04/26/2007 - 01:54

I would be careful with the Cisco Networking academy program books. The ones that I had while studying for the CCNA (around 2000/2001) where a really good read and easy to understand - but - they tend to lack behind on actuality and it could be that some of the topics in the exam are not covered in these books!

Odom's books might have a lot of detail, but there is no such thing as too much knowledge ;-) It will all help to make you a better engineer and you will come across it again for sure when you're studying for your CCxP's and CCIE's.

This Discussion