cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IDS-4210

Rodrigo Gurriti
Level 3
Level 3

I noticed that the model IDS-4210 does not do INLINE inspection on software 5.1(3)

Will it do on newer versions ? or the 4210 cannot do it period ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes and No

The scheme you wrote up is right, but it does NOT route between vlan 1 and vlan 2.

The IPS will instead switch or bridge packets between vlan 1 and vlan 2.

What this means is that the IP Address on the router's vlan 1 interface MUST be in the same IP Subnet as the IP Address on the inside vlan.

The IPS will simply take the packets on vlan 1 and put them on vlan 2 (and vice versa), it will not "route" packets between 2 IP Subnets so the same IP Subnet must be used in both vlan 1 and vlan 2.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marcabal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are 2 types of inline inspection:

inline interface pairs - 2 physical interfaces are paired together and the inspection is done inline as the packets are passed between the 2 interfaces

inline vlan pairs - 1 physical interface is connected to a switch using a trunk port, 2 vlans on the trunk port are paired together and the inspection is done inline as the packets are switched between the 2 vlans

The IDS-4210 only have one monitoring interface, and so you can not create inline interface pairs.

But the IDS-4210 Does support inline vlan pairs on that one monitoring interface.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/csids/csids12/cliguide/cliinter.htm#wp1057307

Thank you

But one more question

The 4210 would have to act like a router to direct the packets from the internet to the inside network ?

I tried to look on configuration guides but they have no examples.

I assume that the network scheme would look something like this:

router ---vlan1

IDS ---vlan1/2

inside ---vlan2

am I right ?

PS. thank you marcabal for your post

Yes and No

The scheme you wrote up is right, but it does NOT route between vlan 1 and vlan 2.

The IPS will instead switch or bridge packets between vlan 1 and vlan 2.

What this means is that the IP Address on the router's vlan 1 interface MUST be in the same IP Subnet as the IP Address on the inside vlan.

The IPS will simply take the packets on vlan 1 and put them on vlan 2 (and vice versa), it will not "route" packets between 2 IP Subnets so the same IP Subnet must be used in both vlan 1 and vlan 2.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card