cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Purpose of Threshold in SLA Monitor configuration

hajoca
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured an SLA Monitor on several of my Cisco routers to determine if a particular circuit or route is available. What is the purpose of the Threshold in the configuration? How low or high should this be set. Along with this, what is the Frequency and how low or high should this be set? I've tried researching this elsewhere but have been unable to find any answers.

3 Replies 3

owaisberg
Level 1
Level 1

IP SLA can be configured to react on certain

conditions. To measure these conditions so IP SLA can react on them it would need to use threasholds. Values you choose for the

threasholds are really dependant on your

particular requirements in your network or

scenario you put together so I can't tell

you exacltly "how low or high high".

Frequency is how often monitor operation

will be executed. Values here are dependant

really on how responsive you want to be if

there is a failure/condition change against

resources available on your router. If CPU &

Memory resources is not an issue you can

decrease the value.

HTH,

OW

Understood. What I am doing is sending a ping from a remote location back to my data center to make certain the path is up and that the circuit is not down. If the ping fails, the route is to switch to a second data circuit, then switch back once the original comes back on-line. So, based upon what you said, the frequency is how often the pings are sent - I would want this relatively low. In this case, what would the Threshold represent and would it be low or high?

Now if you mean threshold under (config-sla-monitor-echo) then this one used only to

calculate statistics for IP SLA not really to

trigger any action or generate traps. If you

want traps you would have to use reaction-configuration.

HTH,

OW

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card