cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN question

davisr651
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 4500 series switches on a flat LAN and the rest of my switches are 3com.. I want to setup VMPS to manage all of the switches using dot1q, is this possible with 3com in the mix?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Moreover VMPS is MAC address based. So you really have to collect all MAC addresses in your network and creating the DB which maps MAC address to VLAN.

It can be done in small network manually but you have to use some URT for larger network.

Best solution is 802.1x based solution. Juniper has one product UAC which works on this and gives you lot of control over the network and as usual it is not properitary, you can control any machine on any damn vendor switch.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

VMPS is a Cisco Proporietary protocol and wouldn't support 3com switches as such. You can consider IEEE 802.1x which is an Industry standard protocol and 3com might support this feature as well. Moreover, it's a better choice than VMPS as it supports more functions like authentication/encryption and that's in addition to dynamic vlan allocation.

HTH

Sundar

Moreover VMPS is MAC address based. So you really have to collect all MAC addresses in your network and creating the DB which maps MAC address to VLAN.

It can be done in small network manually but you have to use some URT for larger network.

Best solution is 802.1x based solution. Juniper has one product UAC which works on this and gives you lot of control over the network and as usual it is not properitary, you can control any machine on any damn vendor switch.

Thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco