UC500

Unanswered Question
Apr 12th, 2007

hi all

i have read from some cisco presentations that the new product uc500 is a Complete all-in-One IP Communications solution for SMB that is CCM 4.1

Unity Express

Solution with Switching, VPN,Encryption, Data Routing, and optional Wireless LAN

FXO/BRI 4 ports/channels

FXS/DID

4 ports?8 POE ports for IP Phones?Built-in CUE for Voice Mail and Automated Attendant

?Appropriate level of DSPsper SKU

etc....

but as per Cisco web site

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns637/networking_solutions_products_generic_content0900aecd8060130c.html

it is no more than a new 520 express switch series?!

can some one please clarify this point and what exactly is this new Cisco product?

thanks

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
rob.huffman Thu, 04/12/2007 - 11:40

Hi UC,

This really is an "all in one" Small Business solution. The 520 Express is only one small part of the configuration (used for expansion). Have a look (it seems pretty cool!);

Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series

Core Components:

Cisco Unified IP phones, including wireless handsets and Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) phones

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express for call processing

Cisco Unity Express for voice messaging and Automated Attendant

LAN switching: Integrated and expandable through Cisco Catalyst Express 520 Series Switches

Security, firewall, and VPN capabilities

Optional wireless LAN capability

Cisco Configuration Assistant for GUI-based customization of the solution

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express is a Cisco IOS Software solution embedded in the Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series appliance that provides call processing for Cisco Unified IP phones.

Cisco Unity Express

Embedded Cisco Unity Express enables voicemail, desktop messaging, and Automated Attendant services for increased customer service and rich employee communications experience.

Integrated Network Firewall and Security

Security is a fundamental building block of any network, and Cisco products play an important role in embedding security at the customer's access edge. The Cisco IOS Firewall is a stateful-inspection firewall available with the Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series. Built from market-leading Cisco PIX Firewall technologies, Cisco IOS Firewall is supported on the Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series platform as a base feature. Cisco IOS Firewall is an ideal single-box solution for protecting the WAN entry point into the network.

Virtual Private Networking

VPNs carry private data over a public network and extend remote access to users over a shared infrastructure. VPNs maintain the same security and management policies as private networks and are the most cost-effective means of establishing point-to-point connection between remote users and a central network. VPNs have been the fastest-growing form of network connectivity, and Cisco takes this approach to a new standard by making VPN functions an integral part of the Cisco Unified Communications offering.

LAN Switching

The Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series has an integrated managed Ethernet switch that provides 8 ports of 10/100 Power over Ethernet (PoE) optimized for integration with the Cisco Smart Business Communications System. **Additionally, the system capacity can be expanded by connecting the recommended Cisco Catalyst Express 520 Switch. The Cisco Catalyst Express 520 Switch provides 8 additional ports of 10/100 PoE and it ships with a predefined software configuration to work immediately with the Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series for Small Business.

Wireless Mobility Services

The Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series supports an optional integrated wireless LAN (WLAN) access point for secure WLAN connectivity. Small businesses can easily extend access to data applications as well as WLAN telephony.

Cisco Configuration Assistant

Cisco Configuration Assistant, a PC-based intuitive GUI configuration tool, is an integral component of the Cisco Smart Business Communications System. With a focus on ease of use, the Cisco Configuration Assistant simplifies configuration of multiple technologies-unified communications, switching, routing, security, and wireless.

Eight IP phone station support

Four trunks

Integrated voicemail

Automated attendant

Basic call center capability

Music on hold

Optional wireless access

System management

From this Data Sheet;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7293/products_data_sheet0900aecd8061fb06.html

UC500 White Paper

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps7293/c1244/cdccont_0900aecd80612c87.pdf

Hope this helps!

Rob

e.paletta Wed, 07/04/2007 - 11:13

Hi all,

Just a question about the Catalyst Express 520 Switch.

I would like to use it like a "normal" switch attached to other Catalyst Switch(2950,3750 etc.) and not only with "Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series". I like Catalyst Express 520 Switch because it is very small and silent(without fan) and I could install it in some small places where other rackable switches(2950,3750 etc) could not be installed!

Can someone help me?

Thank you

cary.chapman Wed, 04/25/2007 - 19:57

It will be a nice entry level system for smaller operations that want an all-in-one box solution with less than (50) users/phones. It is important to remember that this solution will start with models for 8-16 users and FXO or ISDN-BRI PSTN interfaces. It's the next release of product slated for fall 2007 that will seemingly be more flexible in supporting 8 to 48 users and adding support for a PRI interface.

Don't get me wrong, as a reseller I am glad to see a single box solution coming to market from Cisco that will help us compete in this space. Not only that, the system appears to be positioned well for those smaller remote offices with 2-4 analog lines, we can now tie them back to a main office using VPN/Internet circuits for voice and data and offering secure VPN and wireless services to boot.

Two things I really like about the UC500 solution are so seemingly simple but "big deals" compared to typical hybrid key systems; the PSTN power failover capability and a dedicated MoH mini-jack port that will allow anything with a 3.5mm mini-jack to plug in and start playing music, messages or whatever. It is also nice to see the included intercom feature with support for the IP phones as well as the 3-queue basic call center capability. Not a bad package when positioned correct to the customer.

I wonder if a customer will be able to use it as a H.323 gateway later if they outgrow the system and deploy a full blown centralized CallManager solution?

-C-

Paolo Bevilacqua Thu, 04/26/2007 - 08:47

Hi Cary,

My opinion is that UC500 is derived from 2801 hardware with the necessary modifications for PSTN power failover and live MOH feed. I like the ISDN BRI option and I reccomend to anyone, especially in the US, to use it, because believe me, you will like it.

The software should be CME 4.x but from the screenshots I think they developed a better GUI to simplify basic operations. If I'm correct then it will be pure IOS and you can use it as you want if not CME.

A note about the price. If you are a partner you can access some more information with preliminary pricing. That does not appear to be a strong point for the product so if you have designs to be be delivered short time, do them with the 2801 + AIM-CUE, that will do the very same thing (except PSTN failover and live MOH), possibly even at a lower price.

rob.huffman Wed, 06/13/2007 - 04:51

Hi Luis,

That is correct :) When you order a pre-configured UCS 5XX is does come with all applicable Licensing. Have a look at this as well;

Various fixed configurations are offered, eliminating the guesswork from configuration.

Each configuration is equipped with the appropriate number of feature licenses for call processing, voicemail, and Cisco Unified IP phones, simplifying the product structure.

For example;

UC520-8U-2BRI-K9

8 User configuration with 2 BRI trunks (BRI), 4 Analog ports (FXS), 8 PoE ports, 1 VIC slot for expansion

Feature licenses for call control, voicemail and **Cisco Unified IP Phones

Or

UC520W-8U-4FXO-K9

8 User configuration with 4 PSTN trunks (FXO), 4 Analog ports (FXS), 8 PoE ports, 1 VIC slot for expansion, Integrated Wi-Fi Access Point

Feature licenses for call control, voicemail and **Cisco Unified IP Phones

From this good UCS 500 doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7293/products_data_sheet0900aecd8061fb06.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Paolo Bevilacqua Wed, 07/04/2007 - 11:26

I can complete this info a bit with the models that are supposedly orderable in EMEA, and their list price:

UC520-8U-2BRI-K9 8U CME BASE CUE AND PHONE FL W/2BRI 1VIC

EUR 5,482

UC520-16U-2BRI-K9 16U CME BASE CUE AND PHONE FL W/2BRI 1VIC

EUR 9,401

UC520W-16U-2BRI-K9 16U CME BASE CUE AND PHONE FL W/2BRI 1VIC WIFI

EUR 9,793

Delivery times are not know, estimated October.

Actions

This Discussion