cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Channelized E1/T1/PRI

wgranada1
Level 1
Level 1

Just have a quick quesiton I have a 56k Metro PL link and I want to upgrade it to DS1. Is this just like a wic card where all I have to do is up the bw to the DS1 speed or is it more involved that that?

6 Replies 6

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

If your carrier is bringing into your facility a 56k 4 wire DDS line then you are probably going to a 56k WIC on your router. In this case you need to upgrade the WIC card to a T-1 WIC that supports channelized T-1 ability. If your carrier is already bringing into your facility a T-1 that you are only using (1) DS0 56k of it then you will probably not have to upgrade to a T-1 WIC card (because your line should already be terminating from a T-1) but just ask your provider to provide to you the full T-1 bandwidth (24)Nx64k DS0's = 1536k....

I curretly have a two port Channelized E1/T1/PRI with Intergrated CSU in there so I need to purchase a T1 card that supports Channelized WIC card then?

Also I have other connections that come off this Channelized E1/T1/PRI card as well all at 56k. So does this mean I need to upgrade to a WIC card that can support a channelized DS1?

If you have the T-1/E-1 WIC card then you do not need one and all you need to do is ask your provider for a full T-1 service with (24) DS0's. They should have no issue bumping up the bandwidth (For the additional fee of course)....

Sorry I don't think I'm asking this correctly. I currently have the E1/T1 ISDN PRI Network Module in right now and have 10 56k connections coming off of this card. I was wondering do I need another WIC card for this new DS1 or can I have the carrier terminate the new DS1 circuit into this card?

This card has 2 connection both are being used. The second one is using all 24 channels while the first one is using only 10 all at 56k

If your current WIC card has a T-1 PRI in it already and you are using it, then you will need a totally new T-1 WIC card to support this new T-1. You cannot implement a service on top of a T-1 PRI. The PRI already is using up 24 DS0's. Any additional services will have to go onto a new WIC card...I hope I understand your setup and answered your question....

Yes you did I have a T1 PRI card with dual ports in them one is used for ISDN dial back up so all 24 channels are being used. The second one isn't using all 24 but is using 10 all running at 56k. So of the 10 connections I need to upgrade one of the 56k connection to a full DS1 so that makes sense that I need a new card to plug in the new DS1 into. Thank you for your help!!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card