Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant Link

Hi.

I have a router with 2 links from different ISP. I need to configure redundant link. When the first link down, the second link up. What protocol i use? Both links are in a router only.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Hi.

The "backup interface" it's not only for dial backup?

The 2 links will be both MPLS or 1 MPLS and other Frame Relay, and the customer wants to leave a link stopped, to backup only.

hi

did you try configuring the routes accordingly so that the secondary link wont forward any traffic until unless your primary link goes down.

You can define floating static routes to achieve the same.

One route without any administrative distance which will act as a primary route pointing via the primary link and the second route with some administrative distance pointing via secondary link.

By doing so you can achieve the required redundancy feature on your links..

regds

neelvkumbhar
Level 1
Level 1

Try uisng "Reliable Static Route Backup Using Object Tracking". I hope that will solve your problem.

go to -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5413/products_feature_guide09186a00801d862d.html

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Agree with Edwin on this, foating static route will help you in this case. Do the following:

conf t

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 100

HTH,

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card