cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CatOS to CatIOS

Todd Kelly
Level 1
Level 1

I'm totally unfamiliar with CatOS, so I have a question. The 6503 I have (SUP1/MSFC2) was replaced by a 6504 (SUP720). I do not want to put this guy back on the wire. How can I upgrade from CatOS to CatIOS without it being on the network?

4 Replies 4

situwayne
Level 1
Level 1

copy the files to a pcmcia flash card. and follow the instructions below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa6.shtml#conv_msfc_1

The tftp server(my laptop) and the switch will not be on the network.

if I understand you correctly...you want to convert your old catOS switch to IOS. this switch was replaced by another cat6500. I guess you don't want this old switch hookup to the network because it has the old config.

1. console in your old switch and erase the configs. then connect it to your new cat65k switch. assign an ip to this switch, and you will have network connectivity.

2. if you have a flash card from the old switch, you can put it in the new cat65k switch and copy the IOS to it. then take that card to the old switch and upgrade it.

btw.

I recommend using ftp over tftp for copying files 16Mb+. Also you should compare the MD5 checksum afterward. When you download the IOS, copy the md5 checksum to notepad. after you upload your IOS, validate image integrity.

router#verify /md5 bootflash:filename

thanks. i was think about this last night. That was my only other option.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco