cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 501 - Show Ver Command with no enable access?

alanharrington
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client that has no information on there pix 501, mostly what I want to get is the software VER that they have on for the password recovery, how can you go about doing that? or will the file tell you have the wrong software ver when you try to overwrite it with a bin file, also with my understand the pix 501 only can be a 6.1-6.4 release correct?

thanks,

Alan Harrington

ps. the last thing I want to do is blank out there config, so thats out of the question. also I asume no way to get a copy of running config while not in enable mode correct?

5 Replies 5

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Alan,

If you connect to the PIX via console

and are in not enable mode but user exec mode prompt you should be able to retreave the PIX code version from there "show ver".

Also, if you reboot the pix you can see the PIX version code while the PIX loads the flash.

Jorge Rodriguez

great thanks, I'll let you know how it goes on monday, I'd figured I could just reboot it to know. Just dont like suprise's when I show up to take a network down.

Thanks again,

Alan Harrington

have you console to the pix at all? perhaps you may not need to reboot.

if you console you should get a prompt as:

pix> then issue the show version.

As always , a reboot a last last resource.. and a backout/fallback plan must always exist.

Jorge Rodriguez

no I have not, the location is around 2 hours away, and the telnet is not active and no one there is okay with plugging the console into the server so I can just take a peak. Even if it?s there, I will still have to reboot to tftp the password over write, correct? Unless it?s still in enable mode, but that?s just not my kind of luck. Of course there is still the great security hope of a sticky note underneath it. (hey its underneath it, they'll never look!)

thanks for your help.

this was the backup plan, reset the PW. Don't really have alot of choice in the matter. Should be fun however.

my tftp server crashed, but files and everythind went perfect after a new tftp program. Thanks for your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card