Helpful
Replies

VPN Error Message

chris.lau
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

One of VPN router having the following error log:

%VPN_HW-1-PACKET_ERROR: slot: 0 Packet Encryption/Decryption error, Output replay error(0x08000000)

Can I know what does it mean?

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Hope this helps..

1. %VPN_HW-1-PACKET_ERROR: slot: [dec] Packet Encryption/Decryption error, [chars]

An unexpected error occurred during the encryption or decryption of a packet.

Recommended Action: This message can occur occasionally during normal operation of the system. It may occur during the transition to a new session key for a Security Association. In such cases, no action is required. However, if it happens frequently, or is associated with traffic disruption, note the status value and contact your Cisco technical support representative. The VPN hardware accelerator will most likely require replacement.

regds

I think the best way to determine if the hardware module has gone bad would be disabling the hardware encryption process.

It could be done by this command:

no crypto engine accelerator

If this makes the error messages to go away,we would be sure the hardware module might have gone bad.

Note: - you do get a lot of these errrors but i have not seen it affecting performance

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

svella
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, your problem seems to be related to the IPSEC Anti-replay function. What IOS are you running? You should be able to increase the Anti-replay window or disable this security feature with IOS 12.3(14)T or higher.

Check http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123newft/123t/123t_14/gt_iarwe.htm

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card