pptp and l2tp

Unanswered Question
Apr 13th, 2007

Hi all, am i right in saying windows rras uses pptp, and cisco asa uses l2tp for vpn, what is the difference here, and would the vpn terminate on the rras server if i did use one ?, lastly does the rras server use ipsec ?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
gmarogi Thu, 04/19/2007 - 05:59

Windows 2000 L2TP/IPsec client uses IPsec transport mode?Only the IP payload is encrypted, and the original IP headers are left intact. The advantages of this mode are that it adds only a few bytes to each packet and allows devices on the public network to see the final source and destination of the packet. Therefore, in order for Windows 2000 L2TP/IPsec clients to connect to the security appliance, you must configure IPsec transport mode for a transform.

haroon.shaikh Thu, 04/19/2007 - 14:33

Greetings Mate,

I would however like to point out that Cisco ASA can do both pptp and l2tp vpns.

pptp uses ppp protocol and you can combine it with different types of compressions (stackter, lzh or mppc) and encryptio (mppe 96 or 128 bit)

l2tp on the other hand uses ipsec transport protocol as described in the earlier post.

So, after all, you have two choices, you can either configure pptp vpn on windows ras server and configure port forwarding on Cisco ASA or you configure VPN (either pptp or l2tp) on Cisco ASA.

Your choice depends on how familiar are you to Cisco ASA or Windows. But still a lot of people prefer Cisco ASA for performance and other facilities which Windows server might not be able to provide.

* Please rate the post

This Discussion