Helpful
Replies

tftp backup

rajbhatt
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Could some one please tell me :

how to take a backup of the ios image and the running config in a 2950 switch to a tftp server

Also I need to know how to restore the config and the ios file back to the switch throgh tftp

for the router I guess we need to use :

copy running-config tftp:

copy tftp: running-config

What is the command to save the ios image ?

Thanks

Raj

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Craig Balfour
Level 1
Level 1

To backup the configuration of a Catalyst 2950 switch you telnet into the switch and run the following command:

copy running-config tftp://192.168.100.1/switch1-running-config

To backup the IOS and the switches web-based device manager (the web interface files) you need to do the following:

archive upload-sw tftp://192.168.100.1/switch1-ios.tar

This will create a tar archive called switch1-ios.tar of the IOS and web device manager files from your switch on your tftp server.

To restore the configuration you can either:

1) use DHCP and TFTP as described in AutoInstall Using DHCP for LAN Interfaces (http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121newft/121t/121t5/dt_dhcpa.htm ); or

2)you can get the basic networking up on the switch using the console and then telnet into the switch and use the following commands:

copy tftp://192.168.100.1/switch1-running-config running-config

copy running-config startup-config

To restore the IOS archive file to the switch you can:

1) get do the basic network configuration, telnet into the switch and use the following command:

archive download-sw tftp://192.168.100.1/switch1-ios.tar

This assumes that the switch has a working IOS on it already.

2) Extract IOS .bin file from the tar archive and then use the XMODEM protocol and a terminal program such as hyperterm upload the image back onto the switch using the console cable. This is what you need to do if for some reason the switch looses its IOS. See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml

for more information on how to use XMODEM to do this.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

m.sir
Level 7
Level 7

You need specify where is image located ... most often is ISO image stored in switch flash

you can verify this with command

dir flash:

You get output similar like this

2950#dir flash:

Directory of flash:/

2 -rwx 2980731 Mar 01 1993 00:03:48 c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-19.EA1c.bin

So image in this case is c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-19.EA1c.bin

Now you can upload image to TFTP server with command

copy flash:c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-19.EA1c.bin tftp:

M.

Hope that helps rate if it does

Craig Balfour
Level 1
Level 1

To backup the configuration of a Catalyst 2950 switch you telnet into the switch and run the following command:

copy running-config tftp://192.168.100.1/switch1-running-config

To backup the IOS and the switches web-based device manager (the web interface files) you need to do the following:

archive upload-sw tftp://192.168.100.1/switch1-ios.tar

This will create a tar archive called switch1-ios.tar of the IOS and web device manager files from your switch on your tftp server.

To restore the configuration you can either:

1) use DHCP and TFTP as described in AutoInstall Using DHCP for LAN Interfaces (http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121newft/121t/121t5/dt_dhcpa.htm ); or

2)you can get the basic networking up on the switch using the console and then telnet into the switch and use the following commands:

copy tftp://192.168.100.1/switch1-running-config running-config

copy running-config startup-config

To restore the IOS archive file to the switch you can:

1) get do the basic network configuration, telnet into the switch and use the following command:

archive download-sw tftp://192.168.100.1/switch1-ios.tar

This assumes that the switch has a working IOS on it already.

2) Extract IOS .bin file from the tar archive and then use the XMODEM protocol and a terminal program such as hyperterm upload the image back onto the switch using the console cable. This is what you need to do if for some reason the switch looses its IOS. See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml

for more information on how to use XMODEM to do this.

Hi ,

Thanks a lot for ur help

and one more question.

If I want to earse the config to factory defaults for switches and routers :

Could I do wr erase currentconfig or if I do a erase nvram .

What is the effect ?

Bez with erase nvram if I am loosing the password then I have to change the flash_init

but with erase I just press mode and it work

Is there a way to reover console access without loosing the config?

as we have for pix to delete the aaa

Raj

What I normally do to return the switch to factory default (i.e. without any configuration or VLAN database) is:

delete flash:config.text

delete flash:vlan.dat

It is possible to recover a password on a switch without loosing the configuration. Take a look at steps 7 to 11 of http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml.

Here you basically copy the configuration (config.text) to another file, boot the switch up without any configuration, copy the configuration into running-configuration and then change the passwords before saving the configuration back to startup config. THe end result is an identical configuration just with the passwords reset to something you know.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card