Does WPA in 802.1X supported in WLC4402

Answered Question
Apr 13th, 2007

Once the layer2 security is been set to dot1x, the only data encryption it shows it WEP i believe this is a dynamic WEP...i would like to know does this support WPA data encryption.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by diro about 9 years 9 months ago

yeah that's it

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Dmitry Halavin Fri, 04/13/2007 - 06:15

You are correct, if you set layer2 to dot1x, it is only dynamic wep.

If you set encryption to WPA1+WPA2, and then the settings therein, the data will be encrypted (using TKIP or AES), depending on what is configured.

tmsundar81 Fri, 04/13/2007 - 06:44

but this doesnt fall under dot1x authentication...i believe its going to be a different layer2 security. the main concern is i need to use PEAP.

How secure is the communication between lightweight access points and WLC, i believe only control packets are encrypted and data packets are not encrypted....how could we secure this?

diro Fri, 04/13/2007 - 08:07

if you use wpa1+wpa2 as layer 2 security yor still going to do 802.1x+eap as long as you don't set a passphrase because then it becomes wpa-psk. All layer 2 security is decrypted at the ap and so is not running secure inbetween ap and wlc, if you want to have this secured you should use a vpn. However, in the early days when we didn't have controllers the data was also unsecure when it left the ap,

dimitri

diro Fri, 04/13/2007 - 08:10

if you use wpa1+wpa2 as layer 2 security yor still going to do 802.1x+eap as long as you don't set a passphrase because then it becomes wpa-psk. All layer 2 security is decrypted at the ap and so is not running secure inbetween ap and wlc, if you want to have this secured you should use a vpn. However, in the early days when we didn't have controllers the data was also unsecure when it left the ap,

dimitri

tmsundar81 Fri, 04/13/2007 - 09:09

so u say if i select wpa1+wpa2 in layer2 security and select my wpa2 encryption as AES and auth key mgmt as 802.1X under wpa1+wpa2 parameters, i would be doing dot1x authentication that is peap under eap and AES encryption....correct me if i am wrong

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network