cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does WPA in 802.1X supported in WLC4402

tmsundar81
Level 1
Level 1

Once the layer2 security is been set to dot1x, the only data encryption it shows it WEP i believe this is a dynamic WEP...i would like to know does this support WPA data encryption.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

6 Replies 6

Dmitry Halavin
Level 1
Level 1

You are correct, if you set layer2 to dot1x, it is only dynamic wep.

If you set encryption to WPA1+WPA2, and then the settings therein, the data will be encrypted (using TKIP or AES), depending on what is configured.

but this doesnt fall under dot1x authentication...i believe its going to be a different layer2 security. the main concern is i need to use PEAP.

How secure is the communication between lightweight access points and WLC, i believe only control packets are encrypted and data packets are not encrypted....how could we secure this?

if you use wpa1+wpa2 as layer 2 security yor still going to do 802.1x+eap as long as you don't set a passphrase because then it becomes wpa-psk. All layer 2 security is decrypted at the ap and so is not running secure inbetween ap and wlc, if you want to have this secured you should use a vpn. However, in the early days when we didn't have controllers the data was also unsecure when it left the ap,

dimitri

if you use wpa1+wpa2 as layer 2 security yor still going to do 802.1x+eap as long as you don't set a passphrase because then it becomes wpa-psk. All layer 2 security is decrypted at the ap and so is not running secure inbetween ap and wlc, if you want to have this secured you should use a vpn. However, in the early days when we didn't have controllers the data was also unsecure when it left the ap,

dimitri

so u say if i select wpa1+wpa2 in layer2 security and select my wpa2 encryption as AES and auth key mgmt as 802.1X under wpa1+wpa2 parameters, i would be doing dot1x authentication that is peap under eap and AES encryption....correct me if i am wrong

yeah that's it

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card