Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phone VPN

Hi.

How can i do to configure my ip phone (7912/7940/7960/7970) in my house to connect by VPN my company. The ip phone have login and password? Or i can to use IPCommunicator for it?

12 Replies 12

mchandak
Level 7
Level 7

Cisco IP Phones dont have an Inbuilt VPN Client. So you will either have to connect it behind a Hardware VPN Client (VPN 3002) or use IP Communicator.

IP Communicator also works fine with the VPN software Client, and with appropriate configuration, even a telephone on a network connected to the PC with VPN client.

Alternatively you can just put the phone with SIP or SCCP (as supported be NAT devices used) and register to callmanager w/o VPN, you configure the device as secure and privacy is maintained.

Hope this helps, if so please rate post!

Sorry bevilacqua.

I don't understand the alternative solution.

The alternative is to make the callmanager is accessible from the internet, at leaset for signaling and media ports, better would be using a public address to eliminate all and any potential NAT issue.

Then the phone, again on the internet, possibly behind a NAT router, by static configuration or DHCP is given the CCM public address as TFTP and will register normally.

To make the conversation secure you can use voice encryption that is available on recent CCM and in a future, on CCME too.

p

I have a client who recently traveled overseas and his IP Communicator would not register through the VPN; however using the same VPN he had no problem here from home.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

I have had several of my sales folks use an ip phone at their homes using a Pix 501 with a ipsec tunnel back to office. This works great. You can use Easy vpn which is far more easier to setup. If you want to do some level of qos, you may want to get a SOHO router like 800 series that can be setup with an ipsec vpn from the remote lcoation to the HQ.

Let me know if you need any config assistance on templates for the pix.

HTh

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Note on home routers - go with the 830 or better yet 870 series. The 850 series does not support QoS on any of the available IOS images.

Hiya,

I think another option that looks promising is the CU Proxy :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7057/products_data_sheet0900aecd80546906.html

Regards,

Steve

Hi bevilacqua.

Now I am understanding. And you are helping me a lot. But, you have this solution implemented or any study? Can you send me a topology?

The CCM 4.x does voice encryption?

Thanks

Peterson

Hi,

There is not much to add because to the CM topology doesn't matter, you are just adding a device. Many people implent telephony over the internet this way and it works fine.

Voice encryption (SRTP) is supported from CM 4.1 onward.

Hi

The telephony over the internet (cisco solution) works fine with SCCP too or just SIP?

I can add gateways (router) over internet using MGCP? For example, the phone over adsl link are registered in CCM (without NAT), ok? But and then i need to use the PSTN or to create conference, how it works?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: