cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

problem adding license file, your thoughts?

s.chaney
Level 1
Level 1

Currently running Unity 4.0. upgrading the customer from 150 VM subscribers to 200. First license file I used had the correct MAC address of the primary NIC. Error message read mismatch with the other license files. The other license files referenced a MAC address (host ID) that even the customer doesn't know where it came from. So, I had cisco licensing create a license file based on the "phantom" MAC address that the other files are running. This time I got an error message stating a mismatch with the NIC MAC. BUT, it also stated an error message with the CURRENT license file. I canceled the wizard and stopped.

It seems that the wizard queries the license files that are existing on the server and then queries the MAC of the NIC. My thought was to remove all the files from the server and have cisco licensing create new license files based on the correct NIC MAC. I am worried about taking the old licenses off. Does it merely disable the subscribers until the new files are in place? Not sure. I don't want to hose up the VM users that have been created or the Unity configuration.

Could it have been that the customer originally had a virtual MAC? and is now currently running with the 2nd NIC disabled?

Tonight I will remove the old license file and add a new generated file with the correct MAC and then add the new upgrade file with the correct MAC.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The license files are supposed to add to your current. So you have 150 and adding 50, your total should show 200 of course.

I would get the correct MAC address, resubmit the old license file and have Cisco create a new one completely if you are having issue. It is possible that maybe the NIC cards were teamed, or using the other MAC address, etc. The process is fairly straight forward. If you are using the MAC NIC1 or NIC2 or TEAMED, then pic one. But someone hacked the Registry for a new MAC, then you will have to dig for that.... could by it's acting goofy.

Submit to the license gurus the existing .lic file and your new key, then have them fix it all at once.

When you get the new file, it should replace what you have and you should be set

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The license files are supposed to add to your current. So you have 150 and adding 50, your total should show 200 of course.

I would get the correct MAC address, resubmit the old license file and have Cisco create a new one completely if you are having issue. It is possible that maybe the NIC cards were teamed, or using the other MAC address, etc. The process is fairly straight forward. If you are using the MAC NIC1 or NIC2 or TEAMED, then pic one. But someone hacked the Registry for a new MAC, then you will have to dig for that.... could by it's acting goofy.

Submit to the license gurus the existing .lic file and your new key, then have them fix it all at once.

When you get the new file, it should replace what you have and you should be set

thanks,

I have had licensing rebuild the old file with the new MAC. My concern was when I remove the working file and replace it with the rebuilt one. everyone says it should work, but I worry that if the new one doesn't for some reason, then, the old one probably won't reload because of the unknown MAC. I am probably just worrying over nothing.

If successful, then I will just proceed and add the upgrade 50 users.

how do I check if the NIC's are teamed. The one I am using is enabled and the other is disabled. ipconfig shows the correct MAC that I am using.

If you open up Network Connections in 2k or 2003, you should see your Local Area Connection 1, 2 and maybe a third one (teamed)

There is also the HP software that runs in the tray. You can double click this and it will give you the visual if they are teamed. The HP teaming software is what you use to TEAM the nics or disable teaming.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_qanda_item09186a0080094ce5.shtml (for license file and teaming)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a00801d1c56.shtml (how to check for teaming, problems, etc)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_troubleshooting_guide_chapter09186a00801ba5fd.html#1035248 (Configuring dual nics)

hope this helps

good links, thanks,

I don't think I have a teaming problem.

But, what about the possibility of a configuration where a virtual MAC was in place and now (and apparently) the second NIC has been disabled? Could that be where the unknown MAC (hostID) has come from?

I must be good at searching google or something.... (jokes)

http://www.nthelp.com/NT6/change_mac_w2k.htm

Check this out... you can see in the registry where the MAC address is written to. If this was changed for some reason (people do this for whatever reason) then this is where it would be.

funny pic

How do I get into the registry to see the MAC?

Start

Run

Regedit

You dont have to change it, just verify what is there and what is registered with Cisco for your license file.

I normally just go to

Start

Run

CMD

ipconfig /all

and you can see the MAC address for each NIC card, or if it's teamed, the MAC address.

Make sense?

I was in the regedit. Didn't see anything there. But ipconfig /all shows the MAC and it is the one I am wanting to use so... and only one, not two. I think I am good to go.. I was drawing blanks trying to remember regedit.

thanks

I am about ready to give it a try.

If you had NIC1 and NIC2 plugged in and NOT teamed, you will see (2) MAC address.

If you had Teaming turned on from the HP software, you will only see (1) MAC address for the two NICs.

good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: