Views
Helpful
Replies

CATOS MLS-too-many-moves

phil_carter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a network LAN core of two WS-C5500 switches running CATOS cat5000-sup3.5-5-3.bin. Cascaded off these are multiple 2950s (each with several hubs connected) dual uplinked, one to each 5500.

When attaching a new 2950 to either 5500 I am seeing the following in the logs and the network grind to a halt for around 60 secs (9pings lost each time):

2007 Apr 13 12:22:54 %MLS-4-RESUMESC:Resume MLS after detecting too many moves

2007 Apr 13 12:23:17 %MLS-4-MOVEOVERFLOW:Too many moves, stop MLS for 5 sec(4000

0000)

This happens even if I only attach a single uplink from a new 2950 (ie: do not create a loop in the network) to one of the 5500s.

Also the MAC address that seems to be causing this (when performing mls notification and sh looktable cmds) changes frequently, indicating that its more than one MAC causing the problem.

Spanning-tree is switched off for all VLANs:

#spantree

set spantree disable all

Has anyone one else seen similar problems or can advise on why this may be ocurring?

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

phil_carter
Level 1
Level 1

NB: STP is only disabled on the core 5500s, not on all the 2950s...

If you have hubs connected to the 2950's then you may have a loop somewhere in your network ,also i would never turn off spanning tree on any network , it doesn't take up many resources for the protection it gives you . You also may see something like this if you have access points connected across mutliple switches and people roam between them .

No access points anywhere... think this is just a case of spanning-tree needing to be added. Thanks for the reply.

Has anyone found away to solve this issue when it's caused by access points?

j.mccartney
Level 1
Level 1

Phil - I have seen this in the past when someone creates a loop by connecting up a hub or a server with two NICS, or bridging multiple VLANs..I would check and see if somebody added a device to the network. Once you find that you may have to find the root port of the switch where the device was added and shut/no shut to break the loop.

HTH's

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card