CCVP and CCNP compared to BA and MBA

Unanswered Question
Apr 15th, 2007

Hi All,

Had a nice conversation with a MBA student. Can anyone tell me how does a CCVP and/or a CCNP compare to a MBA or BA , please ?

Thanks

Jakes

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 3 (1 ratings)
Chris Deren Sun, 04/15/2007 - 07:13

It doesn't!

CCVP, CCNP, CCIE are all vedor certification proving that you are proficient with Cisco technologies. There are many vendor certification just like many university degrees, and it's popularity depends on in most cases on market value. Cisco has been "hot" becuse of its value in the industry and high demand, simliarly as MBA has been in the past several years.

As far as difficulty comparison, again it may be easy for tech savy individual to complete CCXP curriculum in short time, as oppose to spending 2-4 years on MBA degree.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

srue Mon, 04/16/2007 - 05:26

It's apples and oranges. What are you wanting to compare? level of difficulty? salary? potential salary?

In many places/industries, having a 4 year degree, or Masters, will give you a leg up in many ways. But so will being certified. I guess what I'm trying to say is that having a degree or being certified should not be considered a substitute for the other.

Congratulate your friend w/ the MBA and most likely his 4 year degree. I'm sure he earned it.

thsinghosn Mon, 04/16/2007 - 05:49

In my opinion.

interest is the best teacher.

Do what you like.you will be success!

Zin.Karzazi Mon, 04/16/2007 - 08:01

BA and MBA are for a lifetime. Certification just for 2-3 Years, then u need to recertify.

Also MBA gives you the chance to do a PHd which is highly regarded especially when its about Information Technology.

srue Mon, 04/16/2007 - 09:16

Even professional degrees require continuing education programs. That feature is not specific to IT certs.

MBA's for instance can be 'audited' by their own watchdog type group as well.

Actions

This Discussion