Views
Helpful
Replies

Netflow v9 template configuration

vmanju123
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Could any one of you help me in understanding Netflow v9 template configuration.

By default Cisco Routers send a default v9 template, I am looking at adding more v9 masures into the template for seeing more network statistics,

any help is appreciated

thanks much

Manjunath

6 Replies 6

bwilmoth
Level 5
Level 5

NetFlow Version 9 is a flexible and extensible means to carry NetFlow records from a network node to a collector. For more information refer URL

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5187/products_feature_guide09186a00801b0696.html#wp1069814

my question is very specific

how to add non default measures into a v9 template

thanks

Manjunath

avmabe
Level 3
Level 3

The link is good, but tell me Manjunath... Why use version 9? What information can you not get from Version 5 that you need to use the more complicated V9 with less tools that can analyze the data?

Manjunath,

For all NetFlow export versions, the NetFlow export datagram consists of a header and a sequence of flow records. The header contains information such as sequence number, record count, and system uptime. The flow record contains flow information, such as IP addresses, ports, and routing information.

NetFlow version 9 export format is the newest NetFlow export format. The distinguishing feature of the NetFlow version 9 export format is that it is template based. Templates make the record format extensible. NetFlow version 9 export format allows future enhancements to NetFlow without requiring concurrent changes to the basic flow-record format.

The NetFlow version 9 export record format is different from the traditional NetFlow fixed format export record. In NetFlow version 9, a template describes the NetFlow data, and the flow set contains the actual data. This arrangement allows for flexible export.

The use of templates with the NetFlow version 9 export format provides several other key benefits:

?You can export almost any information from a router or switch, including Layer 2 through 7 information, routing information, IP version 6 (IPv6), IP version 4 (IPv4), multicast, and Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) information. This new information allows new applications for export data and new views of network behavior.

?Third-party business partners who produce applications that provide NetFlow collector or display services for NetFlow are not required to recompile their applications each time a new NetFlow export field is added. Instead, they can use an external data file that documents the known template formats.

?New features can be added to NetFlow more quickly, without breaking current implementations.

?NetFlow is "future-proofed" against new or developing protocols, because the version 9 export format can be adapted to provide support for them and for other non-NetFlow-based approaches to data collection.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6922/products_feature_guide09186a00807ae990.

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Hi Narayan,

I know all these Stuff,

My question is very specific - I want to know how to add non default v9 measures into a V9 template for export, There are no commands Cisco specifies, But in V9 documentation there are many useful measures.

thanks

Manjunath

paitken
Level 1
Level 1

Manjunath,

It's not possible for users to modify the v9 templates. Anyway, modifying the template would not make the router able to monitor the specific field that you wanted.

Rather, it's the other way around: certain configurations cause the router to monitor certain things (eg by configuring the various aggregation caches), and the exported data (and thus the templates) reflect what is configured.

In future you will be able to configure exactly the fields that you want to monitor using Flexible NetFlow: http://www.cisco.com/go/fnf

Again, the templates will reflect what fields are configured. It won't be possible to change the template, only the configured fields.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco