SAN Extension design query

Unanswered Question
Apr 16th, 2007
User Badges:

Hi

I am in the process of having a seperate link (IP) installed between two of my Data Centre sites. The SAN is in one of them and I will be extending it (via FCIP) to the other once this big link is ready.

There will be a combination of SAN traffic and server 2 server traffic (for business continuity). No client/server traffic though (link will be on a different network).

I'm undecided as to connect both ends with a router (7000vxr series say) or L3 switch (3750G series).

I would rather like to do it with switches because of the performance benefits (not to mention costs).

Are there any hard and fast rules as to when to use one or the other.

thanks in advance

Stuart

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
bhedlund Wed, 05/16/2007 - 19:36
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

What type of connection?

The 7200 will give you better control of the traffic however will be quickly overwhelmed with GigE of throughput -- Generally not a good choice for high speed inter-datacenter links.

The 3750G has better throughput but limited QoS control -- not a good choice either.

For the best low end cheap solution you might consider the 3750-Metro -- great throughput and good QoS control on its uplink ports.

For the best of the best options -- go with a 6500 with SIP/SPA. Tons of throughput, tons of QoS control options, tons of flexability and investment protection.

Hope this helps.

Please give this post a quick rating :)

Thanks,

Brad

Actions

This Discussion