Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange IP with Cisco 2710 location apppliance

marco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We've set up a Cisco 2710 location appliance.

The appliance has the ip address 192.168.0.200

Looking at the core switch where this appliance is connected to, we saw a lot of duplicated address with IP 192.168.0.1.

We tried to disable the thernet port where the location is connected to, and the duplicated address stopped. So we are sure that the ip address 192.168.0.1 is generated by the location appliance.

The fact strange is that the ip address 192.168.0.1 is not present in the interfaces of the appliance, and is not configured anywhere....

Moreover, the mac-address associated to 192.168.0.1 is different from the mac-address of the real location ip (in my case 192.168.0.200)....

Any idea?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

vmoopeung
Level 5
Level 5

You say that the address 192.168.0.1 is a duplicate address. So, is it used anywhere else in the network. Can you post the location appliance cofiguration? We need to see what is causing this issue.

I've also open a TAC case, but no solution yet.

The ip address is duplicated because the switch where the location app is connected to has that ip address (it's the core switch of the net).

The eth0 of the appliance is directly connected to the GigabitEthernet5/2 of this switch, and look at this:

sw-core#sh mac-address-table | inc GigabitEthernet5/2

1 0016.3656.68c2 dynamic ip GigabitEthernet5/2

1 0016.3656.69ae dynamic ip GigabitEthernet5/2

Two different mac address are coming from that port. One (0016.3656.68c2) is the mac address related to the ip address correctly configured in the eth0 ifup config, and the other one is probably related to the IP address duplicated that is configured nowhere....

Moreover, that mac address (and interface) doesn't appears if I do an ifconfig....

I've discovered another interesting thing: this doesn't happen if I use the eth1 port...

So, I think there is something strange binded to the eth0, but I cannot find it anywhere in the machine.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card