cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What deivces use " ip name server command"

DenisFoley
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to a company and I find some devices have the " ip name server " command set but not most of the devices. Where should the command be used and what devices use the command if it is enabled ? switches, routers, or PC's ?

5 Replies 5

b.petronio
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

ip name server "ip from a dns server"

is for setting the dns ip address.

Petr?nio

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

"ip name-server" command is used in router and switches to specify name server ip address for name and address resolution.

For example;

ip name-server 192.168.1.128

if you type "ping www.yahoo.com", the device will query the name server (in this case 192.168.1.128) for the ip address of www.yahoo.com.

Thanks, should all switches and routers have this command configured in them ? or just the routers ?

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Denis

The ip name-server command is used by IOS based devices (routers, MSFCs, some switches) to configure a DNS server to be used by the device. This is useful when the device may need to resolve names and addresses. The equivalent command on catOS based devices is set ip dns server

(primary).

I think that it is beneficial for both routers and switches to configure a name server. It facilitates things like ping and traceroute. While it is probably more obvious on routers I would do it on both,

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks, This information clarifies the issue for me.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card