cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

plugging a modem into a router

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, if I want my router to terminate my dsl connection via modem, what command do i need to use to make sure it gets the wan ip from the provider, and do i need to put the username and password on my ethernet interface for the chap connection, would i use the ip address negotiated command ? or some sort of dhcp command?

thanks

Carl

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Carl

AFAIK ip addressing part is basically on a dynamic mode configured at the SP end.

Whenever you get connected based on the service you subscribed for you will get the ip from the pool alloted or assigned for the service flavor.

May be on case to case basis and on the customer requirements the SP may agree in providing static ips to the customer so that he can use the same ip whenever he gets connected.

Regarding the authentication part you need to create a dialer config out there on your router and have the chap/pap authentication credintials configured which is required for authenticating purpose..

regds

so on my dialler interface, do I need to use the "ip address negotiated command" ?

Hi carl

if its gonna be on dynamic addressing mode then you need to mention ip address negotiated.

regds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card