Views
Helpful
Replies

maximum number of EBGP sessions

s-durando
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

what is the maximum number of EBGP sessions supported on 18xx, 28xx and 38xx routers?

Regards

Stefano

9 Replies 9

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Stefano

As far as I know there is not an absolute limit on the number of EBGP sessions. It is mostly a question of the resources needed for each neighbor (how many routes, etc) and the resources available on the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

OK,

so if I have for example a limited amount of routes (less than 5) for each BGP neighbor, how can I compute router's resources needed for each session?

Many thanks

Stefano

Hi Stefano,

You can use "show ip bgp neighbor " to check the amount of memory consumed by the routes received from a certain neighbor.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thank you Mohammed.

Anyway my issue is extremely practical: if I have for instance a 2851 router at headquarter site and this router has to support N x GRE tunnels to remote sites along with N x BGP neighborship, how can I determine N with a certain accuracy?

Regards

Stefano

Hi,

For your 2851 in HQ, you will create 1 GRE Tunnel for each Remote GRE Capable Router. Also, you will establish 1 BGP Neighborship for each Remote BGP Capable Router.

Therefore, N in GRE Tunnel is the number of Remote GRE Capable Router, while N in BGP Neighborship is the number of Remote BGP Capable Router.

I say "Capable" because not all router model and IOS support IP GRE and BGP.

I would like to determine the maximum 'N' supported, with N the number of remote sites connected with a GRE tunnel to HQ site and with 1 BGP neighborship with HQ router

Regards

Stefano

Hi Stefano,

The number of interfaces supported by a router is a function of the platform and the Cisco IOS software release, and can be tested using the "show idp"

example:

router#sh idb

Maximum number of Software IDBs 2000. In use 66.

HWIDBs SWIDBs

Active 42 61

Inactive 2 5

Total IDBs 44 66

Size each (bytes) 4648 1400

Total bytes 204512 92400

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_tech_note09186a0080094322.shtml

The maximum number of interfaces (physical, subinterface, or virtual) a router can handle depends on the maximum number of SWIDBs that the router can use.

Each tunnel interface definition, such as Universal Transport Interface (UTI), Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE), Multiprotocol Label Switching Traffic Engineering (MPLS TE), or Any Transport over MPLS (AToM) consumes an HWIDB plus one SWIDB per tunnel, plus an additional SWIDB for each additional sub-interface, for example, a Frame Relay PVC, that is tunneled. The tunnel IDBs are in addition to the original interface(s) that are tunneled.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Mohammed, this is great info.

Thanks.

Bravo!

Thumbs UP!!!

Kind Regards,

Danail Petrov

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card