ICND knowledge good enough to pass full CCNA?

Unanswered Question
Apr 16th, 2007

I have the ICND half of the ciscopress certification book.

http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=158720083X&rl=1

anyway, i also could the intro book but i feel that it is too general.

I dont want to waste my time but im not too sure. ICND does have a

little review of everything before they go into the better details of

the subject.

I do have the full version of the Boston Netsim as well.

So If I know everything in the ICND book along with doing the

simulator, I should be fine for the full CCNA. I really dont think

there is something in the INTRO book that the ICND book does not have

but I feel I need to be possitive before taking the exam so I wouldnt

waste money.

Thanks,

--Kyle

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
s-sheffield Tue, 04/17/2007 - 00:03

Kyle

the ICND info along with some hands on should be more than enough.

The boson netsim has a lot of CCNA labs which will cement the knowledge you gain from the book.

I reckon you will be fine just remember to read the q's more than once because of the old double negative type one's.

good luck in your studies

Stu

mark.hodge Tue, 04/17/2007 - 07:49

I have both Exam Certification Guides and the ICND is mostly an enhancment on the INTRO and in some places a direct copy.

However there ae two sections in the INTRO guide which is not covered in the ICND guide, "Networking Fundimentals" and "Operating Cisco Devices".

The first covers, umongst other things, the OSI model as Cisco see it, and from what I have heard comes up in a lot of CCNA tests. Chapter 5 of this section is available for download from the ciscopress site as a "sample".

The second covers basic commands, setting passwords, the boot sequence, config register, saving configs and the like.

None of it is rocket science, but the Cisco way may not be your way.

hecg Fri, 05/11/2007 - 09:20

Hi Kyle.

It?s true ICND include the most content Intro has, but you should read both.

There are a few things on the Intro Version that aren not on ICND, for example the comand #show controllers or the status of LEDs, etc, etc. So why don?t you take a look at the Intro too?

I hope you pass your exam

Good Luck.

Hector.

Wilson Samuel Fri, 05/11/2007 - 10:49

Hi Kyle,

Please understand that CCNA Exam is all about basic / fundamental understanding about TCP/IP, LAN/WAN and Cisco Routers/Switches.

So if you have access to Routers / Router Sim then its great, then all you need to do is get a CCNA Study Guide (by Todd Lamelle) and make yourself comfortable with everything in the book.

Once you are comfortable with EVERYTHING thats in the book, please go ahead with CCNA Official Certification Book (Wandel Odum, Cisco Press).

Then you are all set for the exam (make sure you practice a bit on the Router / Sim).

You may get the books from Amazon at slightly lesser price also it doesnt hurt even if you wanted to buy a used book.

http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-Certified-Network-Associate-640-801/dp/0782143911/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-7120733-1885412?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1178909072&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-Official-Certification-Library-640-801/dp/1587201690/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-7120733-1885412?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1178909072&sr=8-1

Finally before you take the exam make sure that you go through the BluePrint and cover every single WORD in the blue print i.e you cover all the topics and understand it corrctly.

Moreover, thus far, I have completed CCNP, CCDP and CQS and have always always worked with a plan like this.

Hope this helps.

Please rate the thread.

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Actions

This Discussion