cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIMG not getting caller id from some Nortel Stations

j.dyer
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Nortel PBX integrated with Unity 4.2 -- and for some stations, the PIMG sees caller id as "----" when calls are forwarded to it on no answer. We thought maybe caller ID was blocked in class of service, but it looks like it's allowed (DDGA & NAMA, right?) -- what are normal Nortel parameters for blocking caller id, besides DDGD and NAMD? Any other things that can prevent a PIMG from seeing the caller id on what appears to be a normal digital station?

thanks,

John

9 Replies 9

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi John,

That is odd! Can you capture a TN Print for a working and non-working Nortel phone and post them back here. I would love to have a look see.

Rob

here you go -- attachment contains a TN print with a working 2616 first, then a non-working 2616 after. Other than some key assignment differences, i don't see too many differences -- especially in the CLS -- looks like both should work.

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

For s and giggles, can you change the station name that is having the problem to something else? For instance, there have been some documented cases, and I have seen first hand, that PIMGs have issues with characters coming from the PBX... not all though. Mine was Robert Ward would not work on the station name, but if I changed it to R. Ward, it worked fine.

In your example, I suspect it was not Robert Ward specifically that was the problem, but more likely the length of the name, did not leave enough room in the display for the full extension number to appear correctly in the display for PIMG to parse it out and send it on to Unity as integration information.

The name ending with "t" is a known bug in some of the default parsing rules from Dialogic. Cisco is tracking the issue as CSCsg01356.

In general, for an issue like this your best bet is to collect traces from the PIMG. In there you can find exactly what disply the PBX is presenting to PIMG. If the correct information shows up in the display but PIMG does not correctly extract it, then likely a problem exists with the parsing rules. To fine tune the parsing rules you can open a Cisco TAC case, or try the Dialogic forums (http://www.dialogic.com/forums/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=10). On the other hand, if the correct extensions are not being presented in the display, then no ammount of tweaking within PIMG can resolve this. The change would have to come from the PBX.

-Eric

we have tried no name, short name (10 chacters or less), and we do make sure that it's within the 23 character legal limit -- and this one does not end in "t" even when it had a name.

Plus we have the PIMG ports on the Nortel side set to not accept caller name (because we've been down the too long name road before) -- so all the PIMG gets is the numeric caller id.

The PIMG just sees "----" for the calling number on these non-working phones in the trace files that we've done.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi John,

Here are the differences that I see on the 2-TN's.

There are different FDN and HUNT numbers (not sure why)Also under the COS the Working 2616 has DNDD (Dialed name display denied) and the non-working 2616 has DNDA (Dialed name display allowed).

These are the only things that I see that could have an impact.

Hope this helps!

Rob

the different FDN and Hunt numbers are because there are 2 voicemail systems right now -- unity for the "working" one & we put the "nonworking" one back on Meridian mail, so they would have voicemail until we could figure it out. the name display shouldn't come into it, because the PIMG ports are set to ignore display names (because of parsing problems with long or odd names).

We did find the problem last night. Turns out that on the non working phone -- there is a appearance of the number on Key 12 or so on a DIFFERENT phone that has caller id blocked. So since it's blocked on the other phone, this phone doesn't send it either, even though it's allowed. Gotta love it.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi John,

Nice troubleshooting! I never thought about a secondary line appearance coming into play here (maybe MARP is set on the Nortel).

Anyways, great work and sorry I couldn't have been more help.

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: