Unanswered Question
Apr 16th, 2007

I just finished my CCNP on the new track. I had quite a bit of experience in most areas of the CCNP and all the study materials are still pretty fresh in my head, now I am thinking I shoud knock out the CCIE written. Can anyone tell me how much more dificult the CCIE R&S exam/materials is compared to the CCNP in its entirety?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jason.plank Sun, 04/22/2007 - 13:59

The CCIE Written is not much more difficult than CCNP exams really. If you are fresh off CCNP and didn't braindump your way through it, you can probably get away with just reading the CCIE R&S Study Guide that came out last year. If you plan on really studying for the lab however, it will take much more than that.

jambo1967 Thu, 04/26/2007 - 20:46

how much time u reckon Jason we should devote to CCIE lab?6 months say 4/5 hours per day?

pawanbrokar Fri, 04/27/2007 - 04:21

hi can u send me the dumps for preparing CCNP routing and switching

jcrussell Fri, 04/27/2007 - 04:47

I noticed that post you linked to is called "How to become a CCIE". Yet the person who wrote it has failed the lab 2 times so far and is not a CCIE. How can someone who is not a CCIE tell you what it takes to become one? I would suggest going to and reading through the archives and see what people who have passed the lab have done.

srue Fri, 04/27/2007 - 05:05

uh, thanks. I just posted it there for informational purposes. it's the most detailed example of an individual's study plan i've ever seen. Do you think most people pass their ccie lab on their first try? or even 2nd?

jcrussell Fri, 04/27/2007 - 05:28

Of course not. I've heard the passing rate for first time takers is somewhere around 10%. I've also read that the average person makes something like 2.7 attempts at the lab before passing. Regardless of how accurate those numbers are, I am well aware of the fact that most people take multiple attempts to pass the lab.

I've taken this thread far enough off topic, so I'll just drop it and leave it at that. ;)

Back on topic, I am putting in 30+ hours a week studying for the lab, including 10 hours or so on rack rentals every Saturday. I have been doing that since the first of February. I am taking the CCIE assessor tonight to help judge my progress. I am scheduled to take the lab on July 6th, but I will be doing some full 8-hour graded labs before then to help. I guess that makes my schedule about 5 months of 30+ hour weeks. Will it be enough? Who knows.

I think what is more important than how much you study is how you study. I've learned over the years what methods are best for me to learn with. So I use those methods when studying for the lab. Those methods may or may not be what the experts recommend for the lab. But we all know what works for one does not work for another. So know yourself, and the Doc CD!

Michael Stuckey Fri, 04/27/2007 - 06:45

You know whats interesting is that post is from one of the biggest contributors on

This Discussion