Views
Helpful
Replies

problem with pix console connection

lukaszkhalil
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I?ve got a pix appliance that was used by the students in our company. Unfortunately now I can?t connect to it via the console port. No mather what I press there is nothing showing on the console.

Please, let me know if there is any command by which you can restrict access to the console port (e.g. you have to press some key to see the console output).

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Lukas

6 Replies 6

baydata
Level 1
Level 1

As per my knowledge there are no such shortcut key are available in cisco pix

regards,

pavan

Bay DataCom Solutions pvt., Ltd.

mwardinterpub
Level 1
Level 1

Lukas,

It is best practices NEVER to allow clear text access to your PIX, even in a learning environment.

You will have to create a local AAA database with usernames and passwords, generate a rsa-key, and only allow ssh access from a confirmed PC and or terminal interface.

You can use the folowing configuration:

domain-name studentclass.com

crypto key generate rsa modulus modulus_size

interface Ethernet0

nameif outside

security-level 0

ip address 192.168.200.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface Ethernet1

nameif inside

security-level 100

ip address 172.16.5.10 255.255.0.0

username ciscouserstudent password xxx

aaa authentication ssh console LOCAL

ssh 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.255 outside

ssh 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.255 inside

ssh timeout 60

Hi

I believe you misunderstood me. I agree with you that it is good practice to secure the communication even in the lab environment, but in my case I was`t necessary.

The students practiced on the stand-alone box. Now I need to use this appliance in different place with new configuration but I can?t connect via console port.

Regards

Lukasz

mark.hodge
Level 1
Level 1

1st Check your hyperterminal ( or whatever ) and cable works on an other device.

2nd Connect to the console port and reboot the PIX, see if the POST and boot sequence is visible.

Hello Mark

1)I`ve already checked the cable and the terminal software and it worked.

2)When I reboot the PIX there is no POST information showing on the terminal.

What is why i suspect one of two issues:

A) the console port failure

B) something that is blocking access to the console port

As far as I know there is nothing that can be done in the config that will stop POST displaying on the console port.

Therefore I would say this is a hardware issue, sorry.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card