urgent : PBX integration

Unanswered Question
Apr 17th, 2007
User Badges:

please someone give me a clear answer on this subject cause i asked too many people and each gives me an answer .

Topic :

i have 2 sites .first site has around 120 analogue and digital phones ,connected to a pbx(NCE 288) that contains the following :

32 analogue exchange lines .

32 analogue extensions

102 digital extensions

the second site , i want to put cisco IP-telephony for almost 20 users but need to integrate the callmanager with the old PBX system .the new site is a migration site and eventually all the analogue phones in the first site will turn to IP and be located in the new site .

Problem :

on the gateway of the first site . what kind of card should i put to integrate with the PBX ?

can i put FXO or FXS ?( NB:pbx doesnt have E1)

if i put 4 fxo( i said fxo not FXS cause all 32 analogue exchange lines are connetced to pstn, but he has spare extension lines ) on the gateway and connect them to the pbx would the call manager integarte with PBX?

NB: find attached a diagram that will help explain

thank you

Attachment: 
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
paolo bevilacqua Tue, 04/17/2007 - 05:02
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Hi Rami,

if you user either FXO or FXS on the PBX, the integration will be extremely poor, and certain things will not work at all.

Example: PBX has FSX, Router has FXO. When PBX calls router, users willalways receive a second dial-tone, and enter digits for the destination. This is because PBXs never outpulse DTMF to extensions.

Not to mention, caller-id, clall-transfer, there is 0 possibility for these.

In short, using FXO/FXS to connect PBX and router does not make integration but more likely a recipe for failure.

You must check if the PBX can support ISDN BRI, or a least, E&M. If this is not possible either, the only partial solution is using some of the PBX FXO lines to connect FXS on the router, plus the oppsite as well.

This way, the call direction will be uni-directional and things will work more or less IF you can program the PBX appropriately.

Hope this helps, if so please rate post!

Actions

This Discussion