Views
Helpful
Replies

Ciscoworks LMS 2.6 - syslog.log almost 100 GB

bread
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We're running LMS 2.6 (CS 3.0.5, RME 4.0.5, CM 4.0.6) on Windows and our syslog.log is now around 98GB. The disk has about 10GB free remaining. I attempted to run logrot.pl set to 0 archives, hoping it would blow away the huge file and create a smaller one for us. Instead, I got this error message: "WARNING: Failed to get a successful value back from D:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\logrot_stat.exe, using Perl stat instead (note: this will fail for files > 4GB)". I've heard erasing the syslog.log file causes more problems; what can I do to eliminate this monster and start afresh with a new syslog.log?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Okay, I think I see the bug, but I cannot compile a fix for you at the moment. Just run logrot_trunc as I described earlier, and that should clear out your logfile.

From there on out, I recommend scheduling regular logrots to keep the file size under control.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'd like to fix the logrot_stat bug. What does:

NMSROOT\bin\logrot_stat.exe NMSROOT\log\syslog.log

Report? If this becomes more of an emergency, you can run NMSROOT\bin\logrot_trunc.exe NMSROOT\log\syslog.log to truncate the file without shutting down dmgtd. However, I'd like to find out why the stat helper is not able to ge tthe size of this file.

Running the logrot_stat executable gave me the response "7245877142". I don't know what this signifies; actual file size is 106030149137. Thanks for your help and super fast response.

Okay, I think I see the bug, but I cannot compile a fix for you at the moment. Just run logrot_trunc as I described earlier, and that should clear out your logfile.

From there on out, I recommend scheduling regular logrots to keep the file size under control.

Slick! That took care of the oversized file problem in about 15 secs. Thanks for the help. And yes, we'll be running logrot.pl on a regular basis from now on. Thanks again!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: