cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Preconfigure Cisco VPN client 5.0 for 2000/XP/Vista

dpatkins
Level 1
Level 1

I have tried to configure the Cisco VPN client to load in a predefined area as well as accept my .pcf files. I have tried the old oem.ini file and even the vpnclient.ini.

I find no documentation on this version and was wondering if anyone has already done this.

Thanks

DWane

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Dwane,

Yes, we just default to the Cisco VPN Client directory -- partly because it's easiest, but also so we don't end up with more than one VPN directory on a machine, if someone had installed it earlier.

For the package I made last week, I happened to use Vista's "Send To: Compressed (zipped) Folder" command, though any Zip program should work. Then I used WinZip Self Extractor to make the Zip file into an EXE. WinZip SE -- and I'd think this should be true for some of the free/shareware Zip->Exe programs too -- lets you display messages at various points during the install, which is nice: you can put an alert up front saying who should use this version of the client, then a message later saying who to contact with problems, or giving a pointer to the ReadMe.txt, that type of thing.

Best wishes,

Clare

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

clare
Level 1
Level 1

Hi DWane,

I just last week set up a VPN client 5 install for my campus, using custom pcf files, so I can address that part of your question.

To do this, I simply took a folder with a vanilla set of VPN client 5 install files, then added my PCF files into that folder at the same level as vpnclient_setup.exe. I did nothing with .ini files. And that was all I did.* When the vpnclient_setup was run, it picked up the pcfs and installed them, badda bing, done. Had not seen this documented anywhere, and was pleasantly surprised!

(* Well, technically I then zipped up the folder, turned it into an exe, and uploaded to our distribution website, and of course those steps will vary depending on how you distribute. But no matter how you distribute, the key seems to be putting the pcf files at the same level as the installer.)

Hope that helps.

-- Clare

Clare,

Thank you for the reply. Do you just allow the Cisco VPN cleint to install in the c:\Program Files\Cisco VPN Client directory or do you try to install it in another directory? Do you use winzip to do all of the zipping and creating .exe files?

Thanks

Dwane

Hi Dwane,

Yes, we just default to the Cisco VPN Client directory -- partly because it's easiest, but also so we don't end up with more than one VPN directory on a machine, if someone had installed it earlier.

For the package I made last week, I happened to use Vista's "Send To: Compressed (zipped) Folder" command, though any Zip program should work. Then I used WinZip Self Extractor to make the Zip file into an EXE. WinZip SE -- and I'd think this should be true for some of the free/shareware Zip->Exe programs too -- lets you display messages at various points during the install, which is nice: you can put an alert up front saying who should use this version of the client, then a message later saying who to contact with problems, or giving a pointer to the ReadMe.txt, that type of thing.

Best wishes,

Clare

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: