cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with PoE on 1242 converted to LWAPP on non AF module

jrhofman
Level 1
Level 1

We have had ISO based 1242s running on 6500 WS-X6148RJV modules with no problems. These APs had the A radio Disabled. We are now converting these APs to LWAPP and are unable to get them to power up on the 6148 modules. I connot find confirming info on whether the 1242 LWAPP is offically supported on the non AF standard modules such as the 6148. However, Q&A I've read indicates that the AP needs 12.49W to operate regardless if you disable one of the radios or not. Based on the specs of the 6148 it only provides 11W of power.

We have configured the AP to Non-standard power via the controller but this did not work either.

Anyone else having issues like this? Any insights would be helpfull.

1 Reply 1

john.preves
Level 4
Level 4

Sir,

You need to be using the upgraded modules and you will also want to ensure you have the 6000w power supplies as well.

From what I'm reading:

The 48-port 10/100BASE-T switching module (WS-X6148-RJ45V) provides 48 switched, 10/100-Mbps autosensing, full- or half-duplex ports. (See Figure 2-5.) The module has 48 RJ-45 connectors for use with either Category 3, Category 5, Category 5e, or Category 6 UTP cable. The "V" in the product number indicates that the inline-power daughter card (WS-F6K-VPWR) is installed on the module. With the WS-F6K-VPWR daughter card installed, the module provides these IP phone features on each port:

?Inline power?Provides 48 VDC over standard Category 5, Category 5e, or Category 6 UTP cable up to 328 feet (100 meters) from the switch to the IP phone. With inline power, pairs 2 and 3 (pins 1, 2, 3, and 6) of the four pairs in the cable are used to transmit power (6.3 W) from the switch. This method of supplying power is sometimes called phantom power because the power signals travel over the same two pairs used to transmit Ethernet signals. The power signals are completely transparent to the Ethernet signals and do not interfere with their operation.

My understanding is that the power for the AP's travels down pair 7 and 8 at about 15 watts. I am beginning to have my doubts now, until I can find proof again.

Also depending on the power supply you have will determine how many of those ports can supply power to AP's

Honestly I will have to look and see what we have been using lately since I'm not the switch guy.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card