Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring vlans over serial wan links

akobwaycct
Level 1
Level 1

hi

i have a cisco 7206 router sitting in my headoffice,the router connecte several other remote site to the Headoffice,like close to 20 remote areas.

on the side of the 7206 i have atm configured and on the remote areas its frame-relay.

all the remote sites including the head office are in the 10.x.x.x/20 network and its just a flat big network.

i want to configure end to end vlans ...how do i create vlans over serial links,encapsulated with frame-relay.

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

hello,

I suggest you move away from the big flat network and use routing for you branches.

You will have a networks that is faster, easier to maintain and diagnose.

However, if you need to carry VLAN on the serial, the simpler thing would be requesting additional PVCs, one for each VLAN to carry.

As you see bridging only makes things more complicated so why not use routing instead.

ok say i want to carry vlans on the existing pvc how do i do it,i am actually using EIGR

P,but then at the head office there are so many departments and i want to try and put them in vlans ...these departments extends to other remote areas so how can i extend these vlans to other remote areas over the wan

hi, to carry multiple VLAN over a single PVC you would need features like Ethernet ove MPLS, that are complicated to configure, reuire latest software and can cause issues in most customer networks.

For this is better that you just use subnets and routing for the remote departments and things will work nicely anyway.

If you want VLAN in the remote site that is ok, the router destination router will send the packet to the right VLAN based on L3 address.

VLANs are a concept tough for local area and campus, and it scales poorly when you try to extend it beyond it's natural scope - that is a LAN.

so how do i go about extending the vlans to the remote site,i am quite comfortable with configuring vlans in a campus environment the problem is now to extend the vlans over the wan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card