cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems with IOS upgrade

prashant
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having some issues with upgrading my IOS with regards to my Catalyst 4506 switches.

Just to recap, prior to performing the IOS upgrade, I did a "show version" command to see where the old IOS was located, however in the bootflash: line, I didn't see any image filepath. It was blank.

I also did a "show run | include boot system" to see if there were any boot commands that have been entered and I got nothing.

Anyway I decided to just to upload the new IOS to the switch and I issued the "boot system flash bootflash:<new IOS filenaem> command, followed by the "write memory" command and finally reloading the switch.

Unfortunately when the reload was completed, the device was (and is) still pointing to the older IOS instead of the new one.

Any ideas why this might be the case? I didn't delete the older IOS either as it is still in the switch's bootflash.

5 Replies 5

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Prashant,

Can you please post your config register value?

"sh version" should give you the same.

Regards,

Ankur

hi ankur, yeap I think the problem lies in the config register. Currently the config register for the affected device is set at 0x2101 instead of 0x2102 i think that is the root of my problem, will set it accordingly and check.

Thank you.

Hi Prashant,

Yes you got it right once it is set to 0x2102 it will check the boot feild and will boot with the image which is specified in boot feild parameter.

Regards,

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

i rekon above post were pretty helpful now one thing to add.....even u added a new ios and even the config register is 2102.....still i believe the older ios would be loaded all the time....it is because of the fact that router loads by default the first available ios present now inorder to load the new ios u have to do bootflash command......hope it solves the issue.....regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card