Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP maximum-path

rmujeeb81
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I required your comments on a scenario of multihoming to a single provider.RouterA have 2 links with upstream provider and using maximum-path command to install more than 1 path in routing table for a prefix learned from both eBGP sessions.RouterA have iBGP session with RouterB also in its AS, now my question is that when I check BGP table for a prefix ( suppose 11.11.0.0 /16 ) at RouterB then it shows next hop ip address of its peer i.e RouterA although I am not using nexthop-self command on RouterA.Is this behaviour is due to maximum-path command ??

Regards,

Mujeeb

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mujeeb,

You are correct. In this scenario, the next-hop-self is set to self by router A because "maximum-paths" is configured and as a result of that multiple BGP paths are installed in the RIB.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

danail-petrov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mujeeb,

because of iBGP protocol ,the next-hop attribute is the IP address of the iBGP peer. If you setup another iBGP session between routerB and another routerC, the router C will receive announce for this prefix (11.11.0.0/16) with next-hop address of router A. Check this out:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/bgp.htm#wp1020610

hope that helps!

BR,

Danail Petrov

Danail,

Router B would not advertise 11.11.0.0/16(learned from eBGP peers) to RouterC b/c of split horizon. As far as Mujeeb's issue is concerned i also have noticed that RouterB would show next-hop to Router A for prefix 11.11.0.0/16 if & only if maximum path 2 is defined on Router A without using next-hop-self.

Regards,

Akhtar

Danail,

i also have attached the topology, please check that.

Akhtar

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mujeeb,

You are correct. In this scenario, the next-hop-self is set to self by router A because "maximum-paths" is configured and as a result of that multiple BGP paths are installed in the RIB.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México