cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice gateway interface

csco11063007
Level 1
Level 1

i have a cisco voice router and legacy pbxin my site 1.I have connected 12 pstn analog lines from ISP and 20 anlog phones to this legacy PBX.Now i have to connect this PBX to my cisco voice router 2811 .I dont have E1/T1 or E&m in my Legacy PBX.i have only FXS and FXO ports in my legacy PBX.Can i connect using FXS or FXO to gateway .

Please give me a good idea in this.

please see the attached Diagram.

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

the same question was asked here unde a different username (rami azar), and I had answerd it. Here is my answer again.

Hi Rami,

if you user either FXO or FXS on the PBX, the integration will be extremely poor, and certain things will not work at all.

Example: PBX has FSX, Router has FXO. When PBX calls router, users willalways receive a second dial-tone, and enter digits for the destination. This is because PBXs never outpulse DTMF to extensions.

Not to mention, caller-id, clall-transfer, there is 0 possibility for these.

In short, using FXO/FXS to connect PBX and router does not make integration but more likely a recipe for failure.

You must check if the PBX can support ISDN BRI, or a least, E&M. If this is not possible either, the only partial solution is using BOTH of the PBX FXO and FSX lines to connect FXS and FXO on the router, that is you must use BOTH types.

This way, the call direction will be always uni-directional and things will work more or less IF you can program the PBX appropriately.

Hope this helps, if so please rate post!

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

the same question was asked here unde a different username (rami azar), and I had answerd it. Here is my answer again.

Hi Rami,

if you user either FXO or FXS on the PBX, the integration will be extremely poor, and certain things will not work at all.

Example: PBX has FSX, Router has FXO. When PBX calls router, users willalways receive a second dial-tone, and enter digits for the destination. This is because PBXs never outpulse DTMF to extensions.

Not to mention, caller-id, clall-transfer, there is 0 possibility for these.

In short, using FXO/FXS to connect PBX and router does not make integration but more likely a recipe for failure.

You must check if the PBX can support ISDN BRI, or a least, E&M. If this is not possible either, the only partial solution is using BOTH of the PBX FXO and FSX lines to connect FXS and FXO on the router, that is you must use BOTH types.

This way, the call direction will be always uni-directional and things will work more or less IF you can program the PBX appropriately.

Hope this helps, if so please rate post!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: