cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ciscoworks Physical Discrepancy and 800 Series routers

uhsethornhill
Level 1
Level 1

We have a lot of 83x routers at our sites that use IPSec over DSL to connect back to the corporate office. However now that we have CiscoWorks monitoring these sites I have 60+ discrepancies due to the fact that CDP is running on the internet ethernet interface inside of the router and not on the switchports. So the router is advertising to that it is using 10M connection while the 10/100 switch it is connected to is running at 100M causing the bogus reports. Is there a way in the 83x routers to have CDP run on the switch that is also part of the router? or a way to get rid of the discrepancies?

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It sounds like CDP is already running on the ports connected to the switch. Without it, Campus would not know that the 830 router is connected to the 10/100 switchport to begin with.

This discrepancy could be caused by a bug in the device instrumentation on the router isde (assuming the port really is operating at 100MB). What is the ifSpeed for the port on the 830 that connects to the switch?

The 83x is apparently built funny. It has the ADSL/Ethernet WAN connection which apparently connects to the routing processor and from the routing proccessor it has an ethernet connection to the internal 4 port (externally accessible) switch. CDP apparently runs on the routing processor and the internal switch doesn't have CDP or it isn't enabled. The internal switch is 100M while the RP to that switch is 10M. So when I have an AP or another cisco switch plugged into the 83x I get discrepancy errors because the routr things the other device is plugged into the internal ethernet port. Here is some output to show that it is what it thinks:

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol

ATM0 unassigned YES NVRAM up up

BVI1 x.x.x.x YES NVRAM up up

Ethernet0 y.y.y.y YES NVRAM up up

FastEthernet1 unassigned YES unset up up

FastEthernet2 unassigned YES unset administratively down down

FastEthernet3 unassigned YES unset administratively down down

FastEthernet4 unassigned YES unset administratively down down

NewBernHospice#show cdp nei

Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge

S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater

Device ID Local Intrfce Holdtme Capability Platform Port ID

NCCoastalCarolina_SW01

Eth 0 121 S I WS-C2950-2Fas 0/24

Note that the local pinterface is Eth 0 and not FA1

That makes things much clearer. There is no way currently to get rid of these discrepancies other than disabling the entire speed mismatch discrepancy under Campus Manager > Admin > Network Discrepancies. The next release of Campus Manager will offer a way to clear individual discrepancies such as this.

3.0 of LMS? or next release withing the 2.x scope?

and is there a way to make CDP run on the switching processor on the 83x?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: