cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast/IGMP

motsinger
Level 1
Level 1

We had a digital/IP video survellience system installed on our network which uses multicasting. This is interfering with a network device that is on the same switch as all of the video stuff. Nothing has been configured on the switch as far as multicasting or IGMP. I need to figure out how to keep the traffic from hitting this one device. Can I do this by disabling that traffic to the one port I do not want the traffic to go to? Could I do it by creating a new VLAN and putting the device there? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jeremy

Certainly putting the individual machine into it's own vlan would protect that network device.

Alternatively, depending on your switch you may be able to block multicast traffic. See attached link for example for 3550 switch

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008031ff7e.html#wp1029829

Your last option would be to look a using access-lists on the network device interface.

** Edit - is there any reason why you don't want to turn on IGMP etc. ?

HTH

Jon

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jeremy

Certainly putting the individual machine into it's own vlan would protect that network device.

Alternatively, depending on your switch you may be able to block multicast traffic. See attached link for example for 3550 switch

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008031ff7e.html#wp1029829

Your last option would be to look a using access-lists on the network device interface.

** Edit - is there any reason why you don't want to turn on IGMP etc. ?

HTH

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card