CCNP 642-825 ISCW

Unanswered Question
Apr 18th, 2007

upto what level one should know about Firewall and IPS to clear this exam?

I want to know specific topics of Firewall and IPS i should read and test in lab to clear the exam? If you are talking about the Firewall and IPS and tryign to cover all topics then it will become more difficult to do it as its total security. So please guide me for the same.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
stefan.jones Thu, 04/19/2007 - 07:02

Well, it's interface based (not Zone-based) inspect and IPS 4.0; and does not include appfw. That's all there is with regards to 'topics'.

To pass, you need to be very familiar with the configuration steps from SDM for each as well as understand and decipher all the default settings SDM uses. You should be able to read the SDM configuration page to correctly identify the behavior and make any directed changes.

You should be able to create and apply 'inspect' and 'ips' basic configurations from the command prompt, as well as manage SDF files. You need to be able to identify misconfigurations for the IOS firewall given a scenario.

And then of course you need to understand the basic TCP/IP level concepts of firewalls and IPS. You need to distinguish between IDS and IPS, as well as NIPS and HIPS. You need to explain the differences between the firewall and 'established' or reflexive access-lists, and understand what traffic can and can't be firewalled.

This Discussion