cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Image Recovery for Cisco Aironet 1300 Outdoor Access Point

murphybruced
Level 1
Level 1

We purchased two 1300 APs for outside. There is a new release for the image that we wanted to use so, we have the latest security updates. We downloaded, logged onto the access point just fine, but the image never took. After four hours with a direct connection, it was still going and this morning we came in and it just keep rebooting. Our network guy states it looks like a corrupt image. We can barely do anything and since there is no "mode" button like the earlier models, I have not found anything on web sites or forums to help us reload a good image to the access point. I would appreciate any insight someone has and/or where to look for this. I logged on and downloaded about every manual on the 1300 I could find, but have not found a good way to fix this. Not even the upgrade tool will connect since it just keeps rebooting.

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Bruce,

Because (as you correctly noted) the 1300 does not have a mode button you could try this method;

Complete the steps in this section in order to reset Cisco IOS Software-based bridges:

If the privileged command prompt ap# is available in the CLI, the write erase command and the reload command erase the startup configuration and reset the unit.

If the GUI is available, choose System Software > System Configuration. Press the Reset to Defaults button.

Aironet 1300 Series Bridges do not have a MODE button to reset the AP to factory defaults. So, if neither the GUI or CLI is available with sufficient privileges, complete these steps to delete the current configuration and return the entire bridge settings to the factory defaults using the CLI.

Open the CLI with a Telnet session or a connection to the bridge console port.

Reboot the bridge by removing and reapplying power.

Allow the bridge to boot until the command prompt appears and the bridge begins to inflate the image.

Press ESC when you see lines that are similar to these on the CLI:

Loading "flash:/c1310-k9kw-7mx.v122_15_ja.200040314-k9w7-mx.v122_15_ja.20040314"

...#############################################################################Note: In order to access the boot loader, you must press ESC twice. But this action depends on the terminal-emulation software that you use.

Messages that are similar to these appear:

Error loading "flash:/c1310-k9kw-7mx.v122_15_ja.200040314-k9w7-mx.v122_15_

ja.20040314"

Interrupt within 5 seconds to abort boot process.

Boot process terminated.

The system is unable to boot automatically. The BOOT environment variable needs to

be set to a bootable image.

C1310 Boot Loader (C1310-BOOT-M), Version 12.2 [BLD-v122_15-ja_throttle.20040314 100]

bridge:At the bridge: prompt, issue the dir flash: command in order to view a directory of the Flash file system.

The directory is similar to this directory:

bridge: dir flash:

Directory of flash:/

2 -rwx 0 env_vars

5 drwx 384 C1310-k9w7-mx.v133_15_JA.20040314

3 -rwx 1128 config.txt

4 -rwx 5 private-config

3693568 bytes available (4047872 bytes used)

bridge:Delete or rename the files config.txt and env_vars, and reboot the bridge.

Note: Do not forget the / character before the filenames.

bridge: delete flash:config.txt

Are you sure you want to delete flash:/config.txt (y/n)?y

File "flash:/config.txt" deleted

bridge: delete flash:/env_vars

Are you sure you want to delete "flash:/env_vars" (y/n)?y

File "flash:/env_vars" deletedIssue the boot command in order to reboot the bridge at the bridge: prompt, or simply power cycle the bridge.

After the bridge reboots, reconfigure the bridge with the web browser interface, the Telnet interface, or Cisco IOS Software commands.

Note: The bridge is configured with the factory default values that include:

The IP address, which is set to receive an IP address with DHCP. If you do not have a DHCP server, you can access the bridge using the default IP address of 10.0.0.1 using HTTP/HTTPS or Telnet. Once you gain access to the bridge via Telnet or GUI, you can modify the IP address of the bridge.

Note: This default IP address of 10.0.0.1 becomes available only for a short period. So, make sure that you assign your own IP address to the bridge within that period of time.

The default username and password, "Cisco".

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_password_recovery09186a00800949d0.shtml#ca_1310_ser

One other thing, be careful with the new IOS that you aren't loading a LWAPP Recovery Image. (it almost sounds like what may have happened)

Hope this helps!

Rob

Unforunately, that is what happened. It is an LWAPP Recovery Image and I have been trying to see if I can load the correct image back to it. I get pretty far along like you state here, but don't have enough time. Also, when I try to use tftp_init, it is successful from the bridge prompt, but I am not able to copy the file from my laptop to get it over to the AP.

I have this exact issue also. I have a 1310 bridge I have LWAPP-ed & I now need to get it back to autonomous mode.

I can run the tftp_init command but nothing happens (no packets either according to packet sniffer) when I run the "tar -xtract..." command.

Any ideas? Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: