Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN delete and domain name

persepolis77
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

I read about VLAN Configuration on the address http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00804761b2.html

but I do not understand the difference between VLAN creation and deletion in Global configuration mode and in VLAN configuration mode.

And also which answer is the best one if I have this question in CCNA exam.

You help is kindly appreciated.

Mehdi

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Global config mode would be the obvious choice.

-amit singh

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mehdi,

First of all the major difference between using the two modes is that Vlan configuration mode only allows you to configure the normal range vlans i.e from vlan 1-1005. You cannot create/delet the extended range vlans using the vlan configuration mode. While global configuration mode supports both normal and extended range vlans configuration.

All the current IOS supports both Global Vlan configuration and VLAN configuration modes. We are slowly migrating towards using only the global configuration mode. The VLAN configuration mode will slowly be obseleted and will not supported in near future. We recommend using only the Global config mode for the Vlan creation/Deletion.

HTH,

-amit singh

Amit,

I appreciate your help.

Good to know that using Global Config. mode is recommended.

One last question is about the exam. If I have this question in my CCNA exam, and I have both choices, which one would be the best answer which accepted by Cisco?

Again thanks for your help.

Mehdi

Global config mode would be the obvious choice.

-amit singh

Perfect. Thanks alot for your help.

I am really satisfied of your excellent service.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card