hello. anybody know when address family first time appeared.... what is exactly purpose of address family? is true this is exists in rip,ospf,eigrp,bgp? is bgp address family only used on mpls? thanks
You can add a few more:
ipv4 Address family
ipv6 Address family
l2vpn Address family
nsap Address family
vpnv4 Address family
vpnv6 Address family
RouterB(config-router)#address-family ipv4 ?
mdt Address Family modifier
multicast Address Family modifier
tunnel Address Family modifier
unicast Address Family modifier
vrf Specify parameters for a VPN Routing/Forwarding instance
- "ipv4 mdt" is for MDT SAFI support (mVPN InterAS support)
- "ipv4 tunnel" is for Tunnel SAFI support (mpls vpn over IP Tunnels)
- "l2vpn vpls" is for VPLS auto-discovery support.
- "nsap" is for CLNS support.
- "vpnv6" is for 6VPE (ipv6 mpls vpn) support.
Hope this helps,
Been along time, but going through the posts i found out that i didn't answer all your points, as for the part "is bgp address family only used on mpls?"
BGP supports the following address-families:
address-family ipv4 unicast
address-family ipv4 multicast
address-family ipv6 unicast
address-family vpnv4 unicast
address-family vpnv4 multicast
IPv4 unicast with CE router
address-family ipv4 vrf vrf-name