cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP route dns names

peter.williams
Level 1
Level 1

How can I setup a ip route command like this on a 2621xm router?

ip route www.cisco.com 255.255.255.255 serial0/0

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Make Sunguard give you an IP? ;)

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Peter

While that might be a nice feature, I do not believe that this capability currently exists in IOS.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Thank you for your reply

The ip address that I need to route may have to change in a disaster situation. Is there any way of routing ip addresses in case this happens?

Peter

Not that I know of.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Iain
Level 4
Level 4

Why would the IP address change? Perhaps you could to give a little more of the context.

Hi

We are working with Sunguard for disaster recovery and they are telling me that if we have a disaster sunguard will not know the outside ip address that they will be able to give me until the disaster happens. So I figured that I could setup a DNS name on the router so when I change the ip Address on our DNS server it will resolve the new IP address and create the tunnel.

If anyone know of a way to resolve this problem I would love to hear it. Thank you for your help

Make Sunguard give you an IP? ;)

Create a tunnel with the disaster IP now. It wont come up immediately.

After disaster, the tunnel should come up automatically when it can connect the the new IP. And you can start using it.

* Rate if it helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: