Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN on ADSL router

jain.nitin
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

Can any one let me know hot to configure remote access vpn or SSL vpn on 2800 ADSL router with DYNDNS as I dont have static public IP, its dynamic IP so it gets change everytime.

Thanks

NK

6 Replies 6

Patrick.Beaven
Level 1
Level 1

I setup DMVPN or you can setup an easyvpn for dynamic peer addresses. I assume that the 2800 is going to be a remote. If not It may be very difficult because of your pppoe/dhcp lease times. You may call your provider and ask for a static reservation with pppoe/dhcp.

I have a few sites that have to be setup this way because the provider wouldnt give me a static Ip. The docs for easyvpn and DMVPN are all found at CCO.

Good Luck,

Patrick,

I have a document I put together for setting up DMVPN between Cisco router's using DSL. Send me you email address and I'll forward you the document.

Regards,

Brandon Roberson

mbroberson1@comcast.net

Hi Brandon, I want to implement Client VPN so that user can connect remotely via cisco vpn client & head end is ADSL router with dynamic public IP. Can DMVPN fullfil my requirement ? If yes, How? my ID is jainknitin@gmail.com

Thanks

NK

Yes, you can do this, but I believe this can only be accomplished with getting a static IP address for that ADSL modem. What model of DSL modem and router do you have? Typically the senario would be to have a ADSL modem with a public static ip address and the cisco router behind the ADSL model connected via one of the cisco router ethernet ports.

Hi Patrick, Thanks for your reply. Here I am talking about Remote Access VPN not site to site or peer to peer vpn. I have to setup a vpn so that laptop users can connect to network using cisco vpn client. ISP is not giving me static IP or reserving the IP in any case. I already discussed with them.

So please let me know how can I do this, if you have any idea.

I have never used the Ra-vpn with DYNDNS but I have used it with standard dns and it will work fine with that. By just adding the FQDN name instead of the IP address on the client software. I have setup many sites with static ip and the RA-VPN.

The only problem that you could have Is the lag time between an ip change and a dns update and when the ip changes its going to disconnect any users that are currently connected to the vpn.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: