cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote Wireless AP

colegisselbeck
Level 4
Level 4

We have 2 wireless controllers 4402. We want to put an access point (1130) at a remote office which is connected through routing. The dhcp scope for wireless will be on the 3750 switch at the remote site. I have option 43 and option 60 configured. The wireless controller is still not detecting the AP. I also would like to know how to configure the WLAN on the controller. Do I need to have the interface untagged. The vlan doesn't appear on the main office's Switch. I hope I've supplied enough info, if not let me know. Thanks

2 Replies 2

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

There are few things to be checked first. Can you confirm if you have used "Cisco AP c1130" as VCI string in option 60?

Also can you enable "debug lwapp event enable" and post the debugs messages from controller which can help finding WHY AP is not joining controller?

Also can you confirm if this is SSC AP or MIC AP?

Regards,

Ankur

rseiler
Level 3
Level 3

I assume you mean 1131 for the AP model?

There are no issues with this, I have several 1131AG APs at remote sites using the Cisco Airespace controller without issue.

A few notes:

1. The 1131AG AP does not use option 43 like the Airespace 1000 APs, this is quite tricky and involves setting hex bytes at a specific offset manually on the Microsoft DHCP server. Alternatively, you can use the LWAPP-CONTROLLER DNS name. The docs are (recently) clear on this.

2. In order to terminate the traffic layer-2 at the remote site you will need to use HREAP which is a new 4.0 WLC feature.

3. Not sure about using the remote DHCP site switch as the DHCP server, the WLC controller generally uses DHCP as a part of the client auth piece. You can configue it as optional but that doesn't always work in my experience.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card