cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vista VPN Client Error 442: Failed to enable virtual adapter

achen2007
Level 1
Level 1

I have Cisco VPN Client, release 5.0.00.0340, installed on my Vista notebook PC. I also followed the workaround on the release note for Error 442: (1) enable and diagnose the virtual adapter (2) run the reg to add the registry. But the VPN Client still keeps on complaining the Error 442.

Would anyone help on this? Appreciate your help in advance!!

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jcnagtegaal
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem - sometimes. Unfortunately, again at this moment. This morning it worked fine, but then something happened while I was not using the laptop, and it stopped working. I had the problem earlier this week. I rebooted a few times, reinstalled the software, shut down the notebook, started it up again, and bingo, after a few hours of going around in circles it worked again! There seems to be something uninitialized in the software, and it is a matter of luck whether it works. I have been writing software for 30 years, and this is as bad as I have ever seen.

By the way, I can tell immediately whether the VPN client will work. I open the log window, and if no commands show up when I try to connect then forget it.

One more note: I had to uninstall the McAfee software to get it to work at all.

Joop

PS: I am running on a Toshiba notebook.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

jcnagtegaal
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem - sometimes. Unfortunately, again at this moment. This morning it worked fine, but then something happened while I was not using the laptop, and it stopped working. I had the problem earlier this week. I rebooted a few times, reinstalled the software, shut down the notebook, started it up again, and bingo, after a few hours of going around in circles it worked again! There seems to be something uninitialized in the software, and it is a matter of luck whether it works. I have been writing software for 30 years, and this is as bad as I have ever seen.

By the way, I can tell immediately whether the VPN client will work. I open the log window, and if no commands show up when I try to connect then forget it.

One more note: I had to uninstall the McAfee software to get it to work at all.

Joop

PS: I am running on a Toshiba notebook.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: