cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF routing table

ciologin
Level 1
Level 1

What could possibly cause two routers to exchange only a partial OSPF routing table and not the entire routing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

CSCO10899265
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

this is entirely possible in a Frame relay NBMA scenrio where you are running OSPF as the routing protocol. apart from this incorectly configured neighbor commands and also rarely duplicate router id's could be the cause of this issue.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Could you perhaps provide a few more details ie. the config of the 2 routers, the routing tables on each.

OSPF routers do not exchange routing tables with each other. They use LSA's between each other to build a link state database and then each routers derives it's own routing table from this database.

Jon

Friend,

As jon said ospf does not advertise the routes to its neighbors.

you can certainly use distribute lists to stop routes entering the routing table

The distribute-list commands are supported in OSPF but work differently than distance-vector routing protocols such as Routing Information Protocol (RIP) and Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP). OSPF routes cannot be filtered from entering the OSPF database. The distribute-list in command only filters routes from entering the routing table; it does not prevent link-state packets from being propagated. Therefore, this command does not help conserve router memory, and it does not prohibit a router from propagating filtered routes to other routers

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

CSCO10899265
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

this is entirely possible in a Frame relay NBMA scenrio where you are running OSPF as the routing protocol. apart from this incorectly configured neighbor commands and also rarely duplicate router id's could be the cause of this issue.

I checked my configuration and found out that I have a duplicated VLAN ID, I'm surprise how it could lead to this situation. Anyway thanks for every body, the hint of the duplicate router ids help me allot. Thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: